• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My jeep build with photos over the last few years.

Here's the stance after shackle and relocating shackle mount.
Just 1/2" lower in the rear with about a 60deg shackle angle.

Looks tall in this pic but I assure you it's not.

I cant decide what to do with rear shocks.
If I'm going to do that work I could link the rear

Just thinking.

I did run the front shocks last night. On the street its smoother and soaks up choppy washboard gravel rds.
Has completely different feel. I wouldn't go out on limb yet and say better since I have ran on trails yet going slow on rocks and such. But seems promising
bfdfea022005a4d2a10589f4db07e782.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jeeps looking good man! I wish I had the skills do those fenders and sliders like you did 👌👌

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Doc
Shes came along ways over the last few years
Today was motor mounts. Ended up ordering off ebay cause I just wanted to take a break.
Turns out I had to grind and drill to install them anyways
Made use of my floor jack. To lift motor.

Drivers side was completely shot. But turns out what I thought was it clunking must actually be a control arm. I think I've got another set of arms to toss on. I not replacing bushings.

Rcp
just for you front brake lines are enroute now shes have 4-6" extended lines all around.

Have here in garage now eyeing 1/4" plate and rear fenders. Have more miles on front 2.0 fox shocks and I completely sold.
Rears will mount vertical through the fenders. Contemplating hoops through the fenders or a 1/4" channel made big enough to later on fit coilover. That's a dream though as it's like a grand just to get into a pair of fox coil overs
24ac2f2e0ad0b773d26122d68904b1ef.jpg
24af51377e09d15aa1da6f6bfc4d03b6.jpg

So I'm getting ready to do the rears do some kinda pockets similar to boost works researching coilover and springs so I build enough room to bolt coilover in someday.

Came across this photo of lower mount perpendicular to axle and what appears to be not only parrel but is contacting the mount its bolted to and bowing the entire shock shaft.

Just thought I'd share it so we can have a visual on shocks are mounted to pivot with articulation

Bolt should be perpendicular to axle tube or be damn sure to have enough misalignment in system.
e8a9d75101ce83f883212b6b9e779d04.jpg

Idk if its just the camera angle... But looks like the bumpstop on that Ford is set to completely miss the its mate on the axle :?

Love the tower idea man, sure didnt realize how massive they were gonna be! Much taller then I envisioned... Are you changing where they mount to the axle?

Thanks.

I didn't notice fords bump stop. Just shock rod bowed.

My shocks will mount over the leaf pack on the ubolt plate.

I'll be able to run pretty much any shocks 12" and shorter with adjustability for most any lift height from stock to any lift height.

Went slow tonight because I cut out 4 of everything.
Passenger side is tacked together but will come apart for welding.
I've got 5"of compression and extension

I'll cut some spacers for the upper shock mount and offcourse my bolts are to short.

Thinking about mounting a full size spare high on bar that ties both towers together.
99626b0f7346710e23372bad848dc391.jpg
ddd4fea3f9332759231451e5d9752020.jpg
580801a26495c0171d9dda7a37042c65.jpg
493478fdca5357e3da11ec7c75d2a76d.jpg

Haha.

I really like it. Ability to run most any length shock now. And possibly coil over later on down the rd.

I think this was easier than doing front shocks.

I also like that I'm no longer tied to jeep specific shocks and can get rid of the stock shock mounts on the axle altogether but I might run dual shocks on the back for now.

I'm on shock kick and am looking into fox 2.0s with adjustable compression damping. After running the basic ifp on the front I'm a believer.

The gladiator is the pickup jeep suposebly shocks are valved lighter in rear for the bed. I dunno though.

The fox adjustable shocks have 10 settings from super soft to super stiff. And can be orderd with normal valving or valved to my specific needs then fine tuned even more with the dial.
However they aren't cheap so that most likely isnt going to happen for awhile.
Better do steering and track bar with stimulus money. And possibly mid or long arms.

Still working on rear shock towers. Did get out on a trail. Ended up turning around due to snow jeep did well busting through miles of willows and rubbing trees. Lost the passenger mirror after this.
This is another trail on the Oregon trail in idaho.

Will most likely finish rear towers tonight . Been having issues finding time to work on it.
For a budget built jeep its gathering alot of man hours and a few cool parts.

The snow pick is out my back window a couple days ago.

I did spend some stimulus money that I probably shouldn't have on the jeep. I figure 1200 bucks is nowhere near enough to keep paying the morgage and keep food on the table so I put it where it can be seen. So offcourse more to come it's a pile of parts and a few tools to get the stuff done.

Offcourse more to come as this jeep keeps receiving upgrades as planned.
675421be65eb60d6dd74016452bff20c.jpg
7a8a0a8eca8c5213695c534a549d9de4.jpg
8ad09baa0a810b3c0ec5d1d382830c22.jpg
7f0156ef53cd6d26d0df890dddc5f632.jpg

I can relate man... we had close to like 10”s of powder on Thursday! I finally see my lawn today lol

At least you are progressing!!!I like seeing the updates, like me you always got something cooking. Only, my build keeps getting more and more thrown at it, with nothing to show for!. Like originally I was gonna repair an axle CA mount, instead I’ve redone all of the midarms and joints, brackets, axle truss, rust removal, painted every damn thing, decided to do oil pan gasket and rear main oil seal with axle out, now stripping axle for inner and outer seals along with a diff cover :/ So ya, a ton of work just to get it on the road again LMAO

What’s next for you??

Ohhh man I hear ya. I've been dragging my feet on swapping in the 8.25 and matching front for a slight gear reduction.
My control arm bushings are shot do have some 7/8 heims on hand and poly bushings. Though it's not ready for mid arms yet .
What's needed first is steering and track bar that's what I've orderd. I screwed up and didn't orderd a small drop pitman arm. I may have to order it. A 1" drop arm along with over the knuckle steering gets me almost right to factory steering angles. Flat. Not doing a small pitman drop means it's got alittle more angle then I'd like.
Offcourse I haven't been able to source a pitman locally and it's the one peice of the puzzle I need to even begin the build.
Maybe I just do it without the dropped arm I dunno I'll probably lose sleep over doing that.

I dont know jack about Idaho, but you keep posting some cool mountain areas that look fun to explore!

the jeeps looking good, do yo have plans for rear bump stops?
Ive got these brackets my original bumps were mounted to, gotta get these off someday and put bumps on again haha.

looking forward to whatever you do next.

Thanks.
No real plans for bump stops tires are bump stopping on rear tube fenders perfectly and front stops against flat inner fender.

Christine and I are planning a camping trip were going to go bust through the snow And stay up there. May not be what se ty o tear jeep apart.

I did mostly finish rear shocks double and triple checked mounts and drivers shock ended up with 1" more sticking out. I tracked that jack to drivers shackle angle being 5deg steeper than passenger. So I guess I'll be tearing that off and bumping it forward.

Cut off sway bar mount ruff stuff cover needs clearanced just alitt. 1/4" fro steering stop 1 way and hitting stop the other way.
Glad I didnt get dropped pitman.
Steering angles wont be bad at all with stock pitman
c548c1684176add7f3b2c2fc09b7da33.jpg
412578adafa4f810ce754888d50f7508.jpg
6a15c86f3e804d4fb8f8288e43310b05.jpg
be4e87402a2757ca2e1bbac837269069.jpg
605c54d41a6137ff43d72ea3958f7b99.jpg
f3c193f31e3015a6d1d932308d5357f9.jpg

Beefy!

I’ve heard some bad things about drop pitman arms... some probably old wives tales I’m sure. Had one on my ZJ that was stout and never had an issue.

Glad the new steering won’t need one, looks like a nice setup

Yeah I've ran them to.

1/8" fro stop now hitting cover stil and passenger coil. May have to live with that
17a6065204f2217d3913713937ac3248.jpg

Even worse is the issues you'll find out about the inverted-t set-up. (n)

The dead spot as it rolls the tie rod.
Figured you'd find something to chime in on.
I didnt by wobble stoppers but I may

Had to stop to do ujoints on a dodge pickup.

I'll give you some more to comment on ounce I start working on track bar. Sound like a plan Sam I mean Rcp.

Back