• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone with a Ford 4.9L 300cid 6cyl ?

I was in the local junk yard today and found an early 80s ford 1/2 ton pick up. It had the 300cid 6cyl, 4speed tranny, and transfer case (shaft on the driverside). This looked like it would be a good setup and I "think" the engine is similar to the 4.0 in the XJ. The torque on these engines are excellent, and they are tough.

So...has anyone done this swap ? or any part of it ?

My current option is an AMC 360, but I think this will be about the same amount of horses, and maybe more torque, without the clearance problems of the exhaust and stuff. :dunno:

well to get the power out of the 300 that you will out of the 360 you'll have to spend some money. I think you will also have some fitment problem with the 300 but mabe not its been awhile since i've had to work on one.

It was a great engine in its day. Unbelievable torque. But it is as long as a boat and wieghs like one too. You would have to do some very extensive firewall work to acomplish it i think. To give you an idea of just how long it would prolly be in the XJ.... You would probly change two spark plugs from the interior!

MATT

I have one of these in my 88 ford F150 4x4 along with a t18 4spd M/T..

it has mulitport fuel injection... and TONS OF LOW END TORQUE.. makes the 4.0L in a cherokee look down right wimpy in the torque department..

it too will last forever with basic care(they still use them for irrigation motors and powerplants for generators..)

but it wieghs a bunch with the cast iron M/T and it is LONG.. :D

not saying you couldn;t do it.. but it would be a bear to do.

it just wieghs to dam much to be feasable. think about it this way.. V8 cubic inches (300 ci to be exact) in a inline six package..and the only thing lightwieght on it is the intake manifold. :D ever picked up a t18 tranny.. very heavy.. :D

Stick said:
Aw, come on...I need positive reinforcement here...lol.

Man, it would be a hoss if it would work... :dunce:

I will get a digital pic of the engine for you... so you can see how big it is..

even if you stuffed it in the in the engine bay.. I don't think you could close the hood... and the oil pan would be dragging in the dirt. :D

Back