NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old April 19th, 2004, 09:52
NAXJA Forum User

do i still need the steering brace?

i installed a rigidco winch bumper last week on my '99...i removed the rusty's steering brace i had on it...
my question is...
with the support obtained from the bulkhead mounting apparatus for the bumper, and the frame side plates(which the steering box bolts go through)...will the steering brace be overkill and just add to dead weight?

also, does anyone know of any frame/steering box troubles after this type of reinforcement has been installed
fyi... the entire front frome is reinforced across the front and has side plates extending along the frame, back past the large hole in the frame, behind the steering box bolts... www.rigidco.com if you want to see the mounting system that comes with this bump...thanks, john
Old April 19th, 2004, 11:07
NAXJA Forum User

Re: do i still need the steering brace?

I think you will be fine, I have my steering box bolts going through a 3/16ths plate that is on the outside of the "frame" rail and I'm running 39.5s. No probs yet. thanks
-calvin
Old April 19th, 2004, 14:29
NAXJA Forum User

since you already have the brace,and because of the horror stories i have heard about the steering box on the xj, i dont think it will be overkill. one guy i knew had a plate that looked kind of like one of c-rocks, just looked like it i might add, and he still had his box pull through. he was running 38's on road, and 44's off(he had barely any fender left) on full width 60's with the stock box. even though you might be running 31's or 33's or what ever, he still had it pull through
Old April 19th, 2004, 14:34
PostMaster General

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeepimpin
one guy i knew had a plate that looked kind of like one of c-rocks, just looked like it i might add, and he still had his box pull through. he was running 38's on road, and 44's off(he had barely any fender left) on full width 60's with the stock box. even though you might be running 31's or 33's or what ever, he still had it pull through
ummm if he had a good plate on one side and a good plate in between the box and teh frame rail how could he bull it through? did he destroy the plate in the process?? if so, his plate was how should I put it.... inadequate.
Old April 19th, 2004, 14:36
NAXJA Forum User

yeah, I quess since you already have it you should use it, its not going to add an extreme amount of weight or anything, overkill is better than having your box rip off. thanks
-calvin
Old April 21st, 2004, 16:47
NAXJA Forum User

If your ever think about running a front locker in the future. (unless you have one now) Buy C-Roks frame plate kit! Best money I ever spent. Even 31's and a front locker will put a lot of stress on the frame up there. Now go to 33's or 35's or bigger...Yikes!