• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sierra fest prep - what do you need to do before SF2019?

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
b05b3211a77e3d3e4b4b7168b34b39db.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Grease your idler pulley every other oil change its easy ! Ive seen 2 guys loose an idler pulley that caused major problems. I did mine while swapping out the exhaust manifold . Just replaced the muffler, exhaust manifold, tie rod heims, trackbar heims, cut down coolant hose , removed leaf sliders and swapped in re boomerangs , greased the super joints, working on trying to figure out why my AC doesnt work and much more.

Waiting on a downpipe to come then its on to smog the wagoneer, paint the wagoneer, and button up the crawler

Whats left on your rig ?

Last edited:
I’m working on a rear disc brake swap that should be done soon. (Full disclosure, I can’t wrench where I live, so I keep my rig at my mother’s house and wrench on it there. With distance and traffic, it’s often an hour drive each way. Add in work constraints and it’s just no easy matter to find the time.)

Once the brakes are done, tested, and good to go, I’ve got something going on with my front axle that I haven’t even tried to figure out yet. A severe negative camber situation, maybe caused by bashing the tie rod into a rock? I’m not sure, but I’ve got to figure it out and fix it.

Then an oil change and possible a coolant flush if I can make the time.

I’m working on a rear disc brake swap that should be done soon. (Full disclosure, I can’t wrench where I live, so I keep my rig at my mother’s house and wrench on it there. With distance and traffic, it’s often an hour drive each way. Add in work constraints and it’s just no easy matter to find the time.)

Once the brakes are done, tested, and good to go, I’ve got something going on with my front axle that I haven’t even tried to figure out yet. A severe negative camber situation, maybe caused by bashing the tie rod into a rock? I’m not sure, but I’ve got to figure it out and fix it.

Then an oil change and possible a coolant flush if I can make the time.

You know, I work just a few miles from your mom's place. I can lend a hand if needed. :cheers:

I just have to do ball joints on mine KOH pretty much beat them to death!!

My absolute needs are to fix the leak at my power steering pump. I think its the reservoir oring. And to replace the oring in my front diff for my ox air locker.

Just below that ill be swapping in my 37s next week. And wiring up my winch finally. If i have spare time ill be diagnosing my front wiper motor, and adding a heat shield above my muffler.

I honestly have never been more prepared for sierra fest. Im usually still wrenching the night before or all night and then driving up to the rubicon. Probably means something catastrophic will break on my jeep on the first day. Haha

I just buttoned up exhaust last night. Now its test driving with all the new steering and suspension joints and fixing my ac

So far I have completed:

Headlight harness upgrade
12 hole injectors
E Fan bypass installed
replaced idler Pulley (Thanks To blondejon)
replaced AC pump pulley bearing

Things left to do
Alternator rebuild
T Case Skid
Put together Spare D30 shafts
Install 1 Ton steering
Install P steering over drive pulley

Should be able to get it all done it time

Matt you normally want a smaller PS pulley not a larger one, so dont buy a overdrive pulley, buy a under drive 4.5" pulley from PSC

My exhaust is back on. Just need to figure out why the AC clutch wont engage and go from there

Roger that.
That is the same pulley one I am putting on. I guess I used the wrong term.

I thought that a undersized pulley was called a overdrive as it overdrives the pump due to its smaller circumference.

Maybe i have it wrong. i dunno. On their website they call em underdrive pulleys but I dont know whats right

I need to do full on summer prep. Sad but true. But just been sitting since I moved in April. Need to run her through the gears and do full on prep. Hopefully I can get my new tool box draw slide mounted In too.. next week I will be getting at it!

only thing i "need" to do is new front brake pads. if i have time id like to finish my roof rack and build my dual drawer slide tool box for the back and mount my arb on drawer slides on top of that

Still trying to pass smog, haha (*crying on the inside)

Oh crap you just reminded me i have to smog mine by next week :shiver:

Everyone, don't forget to bring some firewood if you can! I know we can scrounge around the campsite but always good to have a reserve! I'm going to search the craigslist 'free' section to see what I can pick up beforehand

Replaced my serpentine belt and fan clutch. I installed a ZJ fan clutch to see if the low speed cooling will get a little better. We'll see as it warms up this week if it helps or not. Also rotated my tires, but still trying to decide if I'll put the 35's back on for the trip or not. As it is, I need to remove the sway bar completely to get full turning radius when fully stuffed with the 37's, sooo... :dunno:

Back