• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flat Screen Monitors

i have a KDS flatscreen (not LCD) and its been great. While my current one IS a refurb, they have one awsome warranty plan. My first one went out in a year (but i left it on problably 300 days of the year). I had to pay shipping to have it sent back, but before I even sent mine back, they had sent me another one. 3 years ago mine was around 250$. Im sure you can find em cheap now. another brand thats been good to me is CTS. HTH

well...i think he's probably talking about a LCD (the thin ones) not just a flat screened monitor (take up lots of space).

they are mostly all of decent quality. I've had some no names ones that work really well. Basically....you're looking for maximum resolution, lowest price, etc.

they're still a little expensive for my tastes....make sure to check around online before going to a store like BestBuy and getting gauged.

www.pricewatch.com

23display.jpg

23" diagonal viewable image size
1920 x 1200 optimal resolution
$1999.99

:D

dennisuello said:
[/IMG]
23" diagonal viewable image size
1920 x 1200 optimal resolution
$1999.99

:D

ok, on a serious note. just get a well-known brand display. they will all be pretty good quality, make sure the store you buy from has a good return policy. look for "dead pixels".

A few points...

Go with a semi-major brand - ViewSonic, Samsung, NEC, or similar. I routinely see these going for about $600 in the 19" range, 3:4 aspect (like your TV.)

When you get it, LEAVE IT ON for a solid week. Why? This is burn-in time, you will catch any semi-dead pixels or control electronic problems quicker this way. Feel free to use it, just DO NOT TURN IT OFF.

Don't worry about anything 'exotic' - like that Mac display you were shown a couple posts ago. That's an example of a 16:9 aspect display - while that's not a bad thing, it will cost more. It's geared more toward graphic designers or video editors anyhow. If you're a regular computer user (like meself) a 3:4 display is just ducky.

Take the time to check out Best Buys - I have to admit, their pricing is usually great. Also, if you have enough electronic shops about, you might be able to find "white box" units (name-brand refurbished) that will save you a few shekels. Make sure they're majors, and make sure they have a warranty (the major refurbs usually will.) Cosmetic defects are farily likely, but the innards are almost always brand spankin' new - and isn't that what you want anyhnow? Same burn time on refurbs as new.

Going in the 18"-19" range, I'd be surprised if you had to spend more than $800 (I padded that since I'm in the SF Bay Area/Silicon Valley - you can't throw a rock without hitting a computer company here... I'm not sure where you are - but I mentioned Best Buy because their prices here are good, and have been everywhere else in the country I've been!)

5-90

Back