• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing "flat"

dnp

NAXJA Forum User
I've towed many other types of vehicles, but I need some advice from the Cherokee experts:

I just bought an 89 Laredo with 4.0L, auto, and part-time t-case. What do I need to do before towing this truck "flat" (towing it on the ground with a tow bar) for a long distance? Does anything need to be disconnected or can I simply put tranny and t-case in neutral and pull away?

Also, anyone know how well these things pull? As I mentioned, I've towed many things flat, but a couple simply couldn't be towed that way (e.g., 1977 Bronco - it would try to turn one direction or another at any opprtunity)

Please advise, as I'm about to order a new tow bar in advance of a planned 1,500+ mile trip.

Thanks,

dnp

Do you have an owner's manual? I think the drill is transfer case in neutral, transmission in gear, but if you don't have an owner's manual I can get mine from the glove box to confirm.

If this will be a long tow, I think I'd drop the drive shafts anyway.

As I recall, the owner's manual instructions for flat-towing an XJ of this type (part time with disconnect axle) calls for first starting the engine, then putting the transfer case in neutral. I seem to recall that one is then supposed to put the transmission in park. It's important to do this with the engine running, so that the front axle will be engaged and the TC gets properly lubricated.

Thats how its done. Start , put into neutral, then transfercase into neutral, then shift to drive (to make sure transfercase is in neutral) then shift into park. Make sure you leave the key in the run position (to prevent from locked steering [ask me how I know this one!])
I would disconnect at night and drive it to dinner just to make sure everything was getting lubed up...
Other than that...they tow great...follow well and don't weigh too much!!
Good luck
Rick

Back