NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old January 30th, 2005, 18:15
MWC geezer

1979 Dana 44

can anybody tell me if the 1979 DANA 44 would swap on to my 1995 XJ Country. Are D44's D44's regardless of year? what differences should I look for? Thanks.......

If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If it's in English, thank a VETERAN!
Old January 30th, 2005, 18:17
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 1979 Dana 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB
can anybody tell me if the 1979 DANA 44 would swap on to my 1995 XJ Country. Are D44's D44's regardless of year? what differences should I look for? Thanks.......
What is it out of? D44s internaly are all pretty much the same but they come in all kinds of vehicles...Front,rear,full width,narrow. I use one out of a scout and I had to get 1.25" spacers on both sides....Also lots of diferent bolt patterns.
Old January 30th, 2005, 18:26
NAXJA Forum User

it wont swap in without work.
Old January 30th, 2005, 18:30
Lifetime NAXJA Member

If it's out of a '79 full-size Jeep Wagoneer/Cherokee, it could be one of two widths, neither of which is the same as the XJ, it'll have 6-lug hubs and drums rather than 5-lug, and the differential will be off-center on the axle. It can be made to work with adaptation, but it's not exactly a bolt-in.

Owner/Driver/Enabler of "The Fleet"
Self-appointed President-for-Life of the World MJ Preservation Society
Old January 30th, 2005, 18:57
MWC geezer

the only information I have right now, is that it came from a 1979 Cherokee, it had an automatic. (which I have) It has an "extreme offset". The seller said it may be ideal for smaller XJ's and I may only need to modify one end. I suppose I'll need to make some measurements.

If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If it's in English, thank a VETERAN!
Old January 30th, 2005, 19:01
NAXJA Forum User

if you are asking these questions, then the answer is NO it wont work.
Old January 30th, 2005, 19:07
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB
the only information I have right now, is that it came from a 1979 Cherokee, it had an automatic. (which I have) It has an "extreme offset". The seller said it may be ideal for smaller XJ's and I may only need to modify one end. I suppose I'll need to make some measurements.
I would stay away from that one....The XJ ones are getting easier to find all the time...Also you can do what I did and go with a scout 44...Reweld the perches and shockmounts and get some spacers....cheap rear end.
Old January 30th, 2005, 19:55
Lifetime NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB
Note the qualifier: "May" be ideal. Or ... may not.

Not.

It can be made to work (and I've seen XJs on the trail with full-size SJ axles), but note that all the things I mentioned will apply -- it's the wrong width, you can't run XJ wheels without adapters, and the differential is offset to one side. How "ideal" does that sound to you?

Old January 30th, 2005, 23:01
NAXJA Forum User

if you run a cv shaft youll be alright in the drive shaft department. however, you might run into problems with tub clearance. maybe exhaust too, id have to check to confirm that. all your clearance issues probably depend on how much lift you have.
Old January 31st, 2005, 07:45
Lifetime NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by small pederson
if you run a cv shaft youll be alright in the drive shaft department. however, you might run into problems with tub clearance. maybe exhaust too, id have to check to confirm that. all your clearance issues probably depend on how much lift you have.
If by "CV" you mean a double cardan drive shaft, actually that's NOT a good choice with an offset differential. The double cardan unit incorporates two u-joints, so they are always "in phase". If there is any angularity at the third u-joint on the other end of the shaft, it's going to be out of phase and cause vibes. This is why with a double cardan shaft you shim the axle so the pinion u-joint is straight (zero operating angle, or as close to zero as possible).

With the diff offset to one side, it's not possible to achieve a zero angle at the pinion.

Old January 31st, 2005, 08:45
NAXJA Forum User

<cough> 8.8 <cough>
Old January 31st, 2005, 10:54
NAXJA Member

Talking Re: 1979 Dana 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexj
<cough> 8.8 <cough>
the 8.8 also has an ofset pinion

bolt in and almost the same strength as an 8.8 - is the CHEROKEE 96+ CHRYSLER 8.25 WITH 29 SPLINE SHAFTS!!!!!
Nothing in Moderation . . .. . . . .... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . competitor #91 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The Ride Racing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan C. View Post
As if the program is running with some high level of integrity and only the best of the best win.
Old January 31st, 2005, 11:27
NAXJA Forum User

Offset like 2" on a 8.8, The D44 he has is offset like a foot and a half
Old January 31st, 2005, 11:57
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
If by "CV" you mean a double cardan drive shaft, actually that's NOT a good choice with an offset differential. The double cardan unit incorporates two u-joints, so they are always "in phase". If there is any angularity at the third u-joint on the other end of the shaft, it's going to be out of phase and cause vibes. This is why with a double cardan shaft you shim the axle so the pinion u-joint is straight (zero operating angle, or as close to zero as possible).

With the diff offset to one side, it's not possible to achieve a zero angle at the pinion.
A double, double cardan is your best bet.

Double your pleasure, double your fun.

Seriously, unless you want to run a Dana 18 or an Orion case, stay away from that axle.

CRASH
Old January 31st, 2005, 12:46
Lifetime NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASH
double, double cardan [/URL] is your best bet.

Double your pleasure, double your fun.
I've often wondered about the possibility of running double cardans on both ends. I've never seen anyone do it -- can it be done w/o causing other problems?