• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new bumper and popping noise inside rear hatch

sartor

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all -

Ive had a Hanson rear bumper with spare tire carrier for a few years now with no problems. Recently however have been hearing a popping noise radiating into the cabin. Appears to be coming from under the floor of the rear cargo area. Happens when going down bumpy roads and also I can make it happen by torquing up and down on the rear bumper. It sounds like a sheet metal kind of popping and is coming from a good foot or so behind the bumper. Any ideas?

Mine did the same popping noises when jumping up and down on the rear bumper. Take a peek at the rear spring boxes, particularly where the rear leaf spring bolt screws into the weld nut, in the uniframe (see pic below).

4572.jpg

I had a weird popping noise in the rear, and it turned out to be a broke out spring bolt nutcert from the frame rail. The one on the other side was cracked as well, but still intact in the frame rail.

I used the HD Offroad relocation brackets for the fix, similar to the Ironman ones. Oddly, it even eliminated a minor vibe I use to have, but could never get rid of.....Bonus!

https://www.hdoffroadengineering.com/products/no-lift-xj-shackle-relocation-brackets

Back