• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't stay running

Tonka12

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 01 lifted XJ with 88,000 mi. I went out this morning and she wouldn;t start, just turn over, so i gave it some gas and she fired, but as soon as i let off it stalled, so i did it again and same thing, so I sat and kept it between 1000-1500 RPMs for a bit then let off. it acted like it was going to die (RPMs dropped to about 150, then it went back up to 750. then I drove it and got to a stop light but while i was at the light I noticed the jeep was running like crap and only idling about 300 RPMs, and the battery voltage was down about 11 V (not sure if that has anything to do with it but i never noticed it do that before) then when i started to go it went back to 14V.

Just like to know if anyone has had a similar problem and what caused it, because i am going to Auto show this weekend in detroit and i dont really want to be stuck there with a jeep that wont start.

Thanks

I had the same thing happen to my 97 and it ended up being the alternator was bad. Just get the thing running and unhook the battery. If it dies, then you need an alternator. My battery would show around 11 or so and that was just b/c it was still carrying a charge. These newer cars that have electronic injection etc will be affected by a drop in votlage. Like I said, that is just what happened to me and it sounds alot like the same symptoms, but it could be a number of things. Also, have you replaced the fuel filter since it was new? Doubtful that is the coulpret, but ya never know....

No i havent replaced the filter, but i am as soon as i get home (police at school have a problem with working on ur car in the parking lot = BS) also i forgot to say that for awhile now it sometimes wont start no power to anything, but most the time all i have to do is open the hood and power will come back and it will start, so maybe i will test the alt.

might sound simple but try cleaning the battery terminals. my 94 yj did this and the terminals were a tad corroded. once i cleaned them, power came back and everything was good again.

One more thing to think about is a possible TPS issue. I had the same thing goin on with mine about 2-3 weeks ago, for the period of a week. Sometimes it would crank but not run, unless I gave it some gas and stayed on it untill it got warmed up, to which it would idle like crap for a second and then straighten itself out. This would happen intermittently.

I never noticed voltage levels droping though....but I definitely had the same poor starting issues.

I'll also 2nd or 3rd or whatever the cleaning the battery terminals. You'd be surprised at how dirty/corroded terminals can play hell on starting.

Back