• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mid 80s front brake bleeders

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
My '85 Limited Wagoneer need the brakes bled bad. My front bleeders on top of the caliper look funny. There's no head on the bleeder? Both sides are the same? It's a small, flush bolt with a hole in the center. Looks like it may be an small allen head or star bolt? Does this sound right or are the heads of my bleeders broken off?

They are probably 1/4" bleeders and rusted (or rounded by somebody) off. You can use a good penetrant (Kroil is the best) for several days and then try with good vise grips to remove them. If that doesn't work you are looking at replacement calipers.

I've had some luck tapping a Torx bit into the hole and using a 1/4" socket to back them out. Just get the replacement bleeds before doing this.

At the price of quality reman calipurs id just replace the calipurs.... A1Cardone makes a good reman for like 19bucks unloaded

Back