• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trip to Moab!

The Hard Struggler

NAXJA Forum User
How many of us South East Chapter members would be willing to go to Moab for the NAXJA 25th Anniversary of the XJ? The event is October 6th thru the 12th. I crunched a few numbers and it would save cash and time if we used a car hauler to take our rigs there and back. If you count time of driving vs flying and 10 rigs to a hauler it's cheaper than driving separatly.Fewer days off work and you don't have to worry about breaking your rig and then driving 1600 miles back home! Tell me what you think! Strength in numbers!

:party:

that would be AWSOME!!! but being young, my funds are quite limited... and it's too far out to tell right now, but if i were to ride with someone out there, i might be able to... man would i love to get some pictures out in the rocks!

Give some numbers...We're going for sure.

I'm going... Thats where all my summer money is goin

I was looking at a car hauler earlier and thinking how would our rigs fit on the lower level of the hauler? I'm not sure about everyone else, but I wouldn't bring a stock rig all that way.
A mild lift and 33's completely aired down doesn't look like it would fit on the lower level.

A train load of XJ's... that would be AWESOME

I'd do it but I have to work. the jeep will be done by then but I just can't go unless I quit. I will take my jip to moab sometime though.. between jobs I'll assume

My club went in 2003 and again in 2006. There were 6 rigs the first time and 4 the second. We looked into a car hauler the first time. We even had a driver in the club. It actually wouldn't have come out much cheaper then, and the logistics were going to be hell. We ended up each hauling our own.

The caravan there was a blast though. Literally half the fun. In 06, we rented a condo that was saweeet, and since we divided it among 4 families, it was about the price of a cheap hotel per night. It was also at the trail head for Steel Bender (Pretty cool).

It can be done on the cheap... but gas is definitely the biggest expense.

Been real busy this weekend! I'll post up tomorrow with all my info on the transport company and air fare. The logistics will be complicated but it will save time for those who might need it. :D

Rail shipping is cheaper, a lot cheaper. $850 rail, $1800 truck when I checked a couple months ago. Rail, as with truck shipping, has restrictions on how much stuff you can put aboard the rig. Rail does give you a greater overal height.

A road trip would certainly be a lot more fun as long as its not to "adventuresome".

John

id be up for it if we could ship the rigs truck train whatever and then rent a few excursions or vans and have a road trip that would be fun as hell. not sure how well mine would do in moab but would be willing to see hell stock h2's go out there

Ok folks here it goes. Feel free to comment good bad or otherwise.I'm using Atlanta as a jumping off point for mileage, so make ajustments as needed. Atlanta to Moab is aprox. 1800 miles one way 3600 round trip. 3600 at 12 to 15 mpg (using my XJ as mileage variable) = 240 to 300 gallons at $3.10 per gallon = $744 to $930. 3600 miles at average 55 mph (counting fuel stops and traffic not unreasonable) = aprox. 65.5 hours so 33 hours each way.
Personally i've got about 12 hours in me at a stretch behind the wheel, so figure at least one night at a hotel $50- $60. I figured around $1000 for there and back. http://www.magiccarpetautotransport.com/ is the best of about 8 different transporters I called. The quote was $13,000 there and back with a max of 10 XJs ,thats $1300 each. There was a one cheaper, but I didn't get a nice soap and water feel from them. http://travel.travelocity.com/flights/AirSearch.do?SEQ=1199828482982082008 has flights for about $600 +or- depending on days.
So $1900 for transportation there and back , more $ , yes, untill you count the TIME, the flight is only 5 hrs vs 33hrs driving. More time wheeling, less time on the hwy. Drive time will turn a 6 day wheeling trip into 10 days off work. If you can swing it ,10 days off work is great , but I can't. I can leave Atlanta at 6:15am and be in Moab at 10:00am with my rig meeting me at the airport:clap:. Now this only works $ wise if you are one man to a Jeep, families air fare will of course be more. Lets talk about it!

i admire your time and effort for this trip Tim... i hope all works out in the end, atleast things will be planned out and not last minute come the date of the trip...

Definately wanted to go, but the cash for Moab is going into a kid apparently. She's due in Sept and I don't think a 1 month old is gonna do so well in a xj for 65 hours.

53guy said:
Definately wanted to go, but the cash for Moab is going into a kid apparently. She's due in Sept and I don't think a 1 month old is gonna do so well in a xj for 65 hours.
Congrats! Look forward to all kinds of excitement....and sleepless nights!:cheers:

My brother and I have a trucking bussiness located in kingston,tn. We can haul 5 xj's at $2.25 a mile.We have been thinking about going out to moab if we get enough intrest in people wanting to go. We could meet some place central in the southeast load and go.Then we would stay there until it was over then haul all xj's back I have an xj and would like to go back to moab again.Let me know. Our name is Wehaul we haul any thing any where.

Back