NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 7th, 2004, 17:18
NAXJA Member #1269

can you switch the part time light to full time ?

'99 xj 4.0 AW4 231, lockers in D30 & D44 equiped with 4.56gears

i have the instrument cluster and the indicator light is part time (231 case)

I was wondering if there would be a way to get the full time light to come on instead?

if it is just a case of taking out the cluster and switching bulbs or more complex.

Just wondering if anyone had looked into this before.
Old October 7th, 2004, 18:14
NAXJA Forum User

Re: can you switch the part time light to full time ?

swap in a NP242
Old October 7th, 2004, 20:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redyouch
swap in a NP242
Yup, I think that will do it as long as you get the pigtail harness from the donor too.
Old October 7th, 2004, 20:34
Lifetime NAXJA Member

Why would you want to do that? The lights are sockets that snap into a printed circuit. If you haven't changed your transfer case, you would have to cut the traces on the printed circuit and solder in jumper wires. If you still have a part-time (231) transfer case, I don't understand why you would want the wrong light to come on.

Owner/Driver/Enabler of "The Fleet"
Self-appointed President-for-Life of the World MJ Preservation Society
Old October 8th, 2004, 15:47
NAXJA Member #1269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
Why would you want to do that? The lights are sockets that snap into a printed circuit. If you haven't changed your transfer case, you would have to cut the traces on the printed circuit and solder in jumper wires. If you still have a part-time (231) transfer case, I don't understand why you would want the wrong light to come on.
the idea would to actualy correct the gauge cluster, as with lockers front and rear shifting in to 4wd = Full time, power to all wheels.

if it would be like you say eagle and have to put in jumper wires than screw that. I was thinking in my head that maby the cluster print circuit was wireds so that both part time and full time wires would be charged when shifted into 4wd, but since my jeep had the 231 I was hoping the bulb in the full time socket would just be gone and not completing the circuit.

(did that mak any sence to anyone else besides me?)
Since it seems to be more of a hastle than what I had hoped, I will just leave it be, I know it is in full time 4wd.
Old October 8th, 2004, 16:39
NAXJA Member #1269

after looking at the other gauge cluster i have, it wouldn;t be so hard...

but then again, would it mess up anything internal by having that light on by somehow sending eletric somewhere it's not soposed to go (242 switch area?)
Old October 8th, 2004, 18:24
Lifetime NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano
the idea would to actualy correct the gauge cluster, as with lockers front and rear shifting in to 4wd = Full time, power to all wheels.
You would NOT be "correcting" the gauge cluster. You don't understand what "part-time" means. When Jeep says "part-time," they mean that you can only use 4WD part of the time, not full-time such as all the time on dry pavement. The reason is that the 231 transfer case locks the front and rear driveshafts to always turn at the same speed. Since the front wheels travel farther than the rear wheels on corners, if you run in locked 4WD on dry pavement the driveline binds up and (usually) something breaks.

The term "full-time" is used by Jeep to refer to the additional position offered on the 242 (Selec-Trac) transfer case, which has a position that can be run in 4WD on pavement because it has a differential in the transfer case.

There is nothing incorrect about your gauge cluster.

Owner/Driver/Enabler of "The Fleet"
Self-appointed President-for-Life of the World MJ Preservation Society
Old October 8th, 2004, 19:14
Gone but not forgotten...

I think he wants the full time light to come on instead of the part time light. It isn't part of the gauge cluster at all... it's in that little panel to the left (right in OZ?)

Dude... get access to that panel & clip & splice the 'part time' wire to the 'full time' bulb. If the part time bulb lights up along with the full time bulb. Pull it out for a spare.
Old October 9th, 2004, 03:21
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody
I think he wants the full time light to come on instead of the part time light. It isn't part of the gauge cluster at all... it's in that little panel to the left (right in OZ?)

Dude... get access to that panel & clip & splice the 'part time' wire to the 'full time' bulb. If the part time bulb lights up along with the full time bulb. Pull it out for a spare.
Woody, OZ's xj is a 99, it's in the cluster. Regardless what Eagle posted is correct, if he is thinking wrong.
Old October 9th, 2004, 08:58
NAXJA Member #1269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
When Jeep says "part-time," they mean that you can only use 4WD part of the time, not full-time such as all the time on dry pavement. The reason is that the 231 transfer case locks the front and rear driveshafts to always turn at the same speed. Since the front wheels travel farther than the rear wheels on corners, if you run in locked 4WD on dry pavement the driveline binds up and (usually) something breaks.
I see this as true. Jeep had to put it that way so normal folks wouldn't use 4wd on the street.

not sure if I am going to do the "mod" or not...