NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old May 28th, 2014, 15:58
NAXJA Forum User

Pictures of cracks in 4.0L engineDoes anyone know of a site where there are pictures

Does anyone know of a site where there are pictures of the cracks that appear in some 4.0L heads that cause problems. Supposedly these cracks are the result of over heating. Cleaning up the surface of my 4.0 head while replacing piston I've noticed what might be a small mick, it is within the inside of the sealing ring on the head gasket. It almost appears to be just a surface scratch and doesn't appear to be seen of felt in the combustion area. At this point being retired I'm a little tight on money to have the head machined or buy a new one. If I can go as is I'd like to, but am looking to the experts for answers. If it would help I could try to post pictures tomorrow. I not the first owner of the Jeep but have had it for a couple of years and it has never over heated or lost coolant. Engine has around 190000 miles on it. Bearings and everything looked good. Put in a re manufactured crank due to the cost of the odd size main and rod bearings.
Thanks,
Bill
Old May 28th, 2014, 17:31
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Pictures of cracks in 4.0L engineDoes anyone know of a site where there are pictu

Pics would help. Not between cyl 3 & 4? Not a 2000, 2001? To know for sure, you need to sand down until it's gone and penetrant inspect.
Old May 28th, 2014, 18:19
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Pictures of cracks in 4.0L engineDoes anyone know of a site where there are pictu

I would google "Jeep 4.0 head cracks"... Look at the images.
Old May 28th, 2014, 21:05
NAXJA Member

The heads most prone to cracking are the 0331 heads in 2000-2001 vehicles. The 0331 is on the drivers side top edge of the head near cylinders 3 & 4. Updated heads are still cast with 0331 but also say TUPY in between the rockers for cylinders 3 & 4. When it cracks, there is usually a visible hairline crack, a "tan line" (contrasting color to the surrounding area), bubbles in the oil, or worse, visible coolant in the same area that the new heads say TUPY.

All the heads can crack and there are pictures on the Internet that show 0630 and 0721 head cracks, but these are usually from some other issue, such as a massive overheat.

It sounds like you have a scratch rather than a crack.
Old May 29th, 2014, 07:33
NAXJA Forum User

I would at least spend the little bit to have the head magnafluxed. Visual inspection isn't always revealing.
Old May 29th, 2014, 07:53
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
I would at least spend the little bit to have the head magnafluxed. Visual inspection isn't always revealing.
x2
Old May 29th, 2014, 14:34
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbill View Post
Does anyone know of a site where there are pictures of the cracks that appear in some 4.0L heads that cause problems. Supposedly these cracks are the result of over heating. Cleaning up the surface of my 4.0 head while replacing piston I've noticed what might be a small mick, it is within the inside of the sealing ring on the head gasket. It almost appears to be just a surface scratch and doesn't appear to be seen of felt in the combustion area. At this point being retired I'm a little tight on money to have the head machined or buy a new one. If I can go as is I'd like to, but am looking to the experts for answers. If it would help I could try to post pictures tomorrow. I not the first owner of the Jeep but have had it for a couple of years and it has never over heated or lost coolant. Engine has around 190000 miles on it. Bearings and everything looked good. Put in a re manufactured crank due to the cost of the odd size main and rod bearings.
Thanks,
Bill
Have a picture, but can't seem to find a way to add it.
Old May 29th, 2014, 17:05
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Upload it to imgur.com and post the code here. It's pretty self explanatory but if you get it wrong, we can probably still fix it up.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old May 29th, 2014, 17:47
NAXJA Forum User

Magnetic particle inspection doesn't work on aluminum. Magnaflux (brand) sells a nuke grade dye kit that is mentioned above that uses a cleaner, penetrate and a developer.
Old May 29th, 2014, 17:51
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftwelder View Post
Magnetic particle inspection doesn't work on aluminum. Magnaflux (brand) sells a nuke grade dye kit that is mentioned above that uses a cleaner, penetrate and a developer.
100% correct, but the 4.0 head is cast iron.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old May 29th, 2014, 17:53
NAXJA Forum User

jeez, I am such a noob.. I am trying, honestly.
Old May 29th, 2014, 18:00
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
100% correct, but the 4.0 head is cast iron.
Yes, there is dye used for aluminum.
Old May 29th, 2014, 18:08
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftwelder View Post
jeez, I am such a noob.. I am trying, honestly.
No worries. I've actually had people tell me that I should magnaflux an aluminum head before
Old May 29th, 2014, 18:21
NAXJA Forum User

I've also had a person tell me that my engine is aluminum... I think it was because I painted it silver.
Old May 29th, 2014, 19:08
NAXJA Forum User

Crack is vertical in this picture. Water jacket hole to water jacket hole between cylinders 3&4. 0331 head from 2000 Sport with 141K miles.