• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Party, party, party, "let them eat cake"

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
With the exception of the $400 bottles of Cabernet, it's not unlike a dinner on a cruise ship. The Chardonnay is only $40 per bottle.

No big deal although the guests would probably prefer wings at Hooters :gag:

With the exception of the $400 bottles of Cabernet, it's not unlike a dinner on a cruise ship. The Chardonnay is only $40 per bottle.

No big deal although the guests would probably prefer wings at Hooters :gag:
There was a day,before GWB got to the White House when he probably would have hosted it at Hooters.

It will be real interesting to see what news comes out of there (G20 summit) this weekend.

Why does it matter that they eat fancy food?

Just because people cant afford to eat like that doesnt mean NO ONE should eat that.

I know people who cant afford a good steak and a decent beer, that doesnt mean that I shouldnt...

Why does it matter that they eat fancy food?

Just because people cant afford to eat like that doesnt mean NO ONE should eat that.

I know people who cant afford a good steak and a decent beer, that doesnt mean that I shouldnt...

It is, was, an historical allusion (fancy English literature term) to a famous French Queen's quote (I forget her name) who when the entire country of France was starving to death, and it was brought to the Queen's attention, She said to her quests jokingly during a royal party where there was lots of Cake, "just let them eat cake". The quotation has survived 500 years as a way to allude to someone who is power but that has lost touch & contact with the people they rule (if they ever had such contact) and who have no idea what the common people are suffering through.

In my case I was just using, reusing the authors quote for the title to help make the title of this thread look more interesting. IIRC (but I am not sure) that same queen was later beheaded during the French revolution that followed as the common people reached their limit.

The real story here is that the G20 special Economic summit is underway this weekend in Washington to try and garner support and generate policy ideas for a world wide, coordinated economic rescue package before we all end up eating cake (the cake part being a literary historical and callous joke!:laugh3:).

The real story here is that the G20 special Economic summit is underway this weekend in Washington to try and garner support and generate policy ideas for a world wide, coordinated economic rescue package before we all end up eating cake (the cake part being a literary historical and callous joke!:laugh3:).
So what does this have to do with "GWB and the Republicans still know how to throw a real party!"

So what does this have to do with "GWB and the Republicans still know how to throw a real party!"

Nothing. It was just a dig. The reality is that GWB and the Republicans want everyone to be able to eat as well as anyone else. The Democrats prefer to keep the poor people down so they can keep their voter base and decide what's best for them.

ahh, I get it...

It was one of those hey look at them eating good, lets guilt them into giving us their food instead of working hard and getting our own food...

Good Joke, hahahaha

:shhh::looney:

Well, the good news in, Barrack Obama and the Democrats are going to have a fund raiser and start a soup kitchen to feed the homeless around DC instead of having an Inaugural ball. That's what they're planning,...

Right?...

Mike?

How many of you even now what quinoa is?

I'm not gonna touch this, but anyone wanna predict the menu at the Inauguration Ball? Or any other dinner Obama hosts.....?

:D

:anon:

J, touch it, you know you want to, it's right there. Oh come on, a quick touch, or touche if you would rather. Sounds like a typical dinner party, just because the bar tab is different doesn't mean much, when I feed the local friends it comes out to 20 or 30 a head, that's not including the booze, it's the spendy type, I promise. It's a dig, because as was stated Obama's going to have a fundraiser to start a soup kitchen, his kids will go to a public school, and he will do all in his power to see that everyone is equally poor, so we can all attend the soup kitchen. Buy into the media hype, he is the greatest they promise

Back