NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Colorado Chapter > Colorado Trip Reports
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Colorado Trip Reports A place to post up details after an adventure.

Old May 27th, 2018, 02:57
NAXJA Forum User

Rimrocker/Moab

Hereís some pics from the trip. Ended up being a solo run, so ran all the way to Moab in first day and caught an Airbnb (last one available).
I made a 40 mike mistake right out the gate. I took 540 instead of staying on 402. I could have take it to Nucla and not had to back track, but I didnít want to miss that much of the trail. I took the houser cutoff which did eliminate some of the trail (couple miles). It was supposed to be more rugged, it wasnít. I recommend after dropping into Utah, going straight to highway 46 and roading into Moab. The la sal pass section was absolutely brutal on me. 3 mph. Softball rocks. Goat trail. Zero visibility (tall brush) tight. Pinstripe trees. It sucked. Was not worth doing at all. The signage on Utah side is lacking for sure and caused for a few back tracks which were also frustrating. Buckhorn reservoir was a great lunch spot, or camp spot as itís about 2/3 the way through. Has group and solo camp sites. And it is nice and quiet. Made whole trip (minus my early mistake) in 7.5 hours. But I was movin pretty good. Hells revenge today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 27th, 2018, 02:59
NAXJA Forum User

Rimrocker/Moab

Here’s my trip info. You can see the mistake and back track right off the bat.
In last pic you can see where my speed drops a ton on south end of la sal mountain. Next time I’ll just skip that and hop right down to highway 46 which you can see right below.

Last edited by in4aride; May 27th, 2018 at 03:13.
Old May 27th, 2018, 03:00
NAXJA Forum User

Rimrocker/Moab

Old May 27th, 2018, 03:01
NAXJA Forum User

Rimrocker/Moab

Old May 27th, 2018, 03:03
NAXJA Forum User

Rimrocker/Moab

Old May 27th, 2018, 10:46
NAXJA Forum User

Rimrocker/Moab

Ran hells revenge. Was a dummy and ran hells gate solo and no spotter. Was fun. Couple pics.

Old May 27th, 2018, 13:08
NAXJA Forum User

Rimrocker/Moab

Ok. Two maps. Several points.

Colorado side
A- fast easy and fun. Just dirt road.
B- I skipped this running the houser cutoff below it. The cutoff was just dirt road as well so I imagine the upper section would be just as easy.
C- pretty fun. Some open road. Some water washes and creek crossings. More desert. Great views.
D- after crossing highway, it sucks. It’s a series of trail jumps that run you mad as you reconnect same trails multiple times. Signage is hit or miss at this point. You have to know you’re route.
E- back to being open road and fun. Where the lake camp spot is. Road narrow in some spots.

Utah side
A- starts off super gorgeous. Private property. Super lush and quiet. Turns to like section A on Colorado side. Was heaviest with traffic through here.
B- **** B. No really. This section sucks. No real scenery. Softball to bowling ball sized rocks. Tight paths, expect pinstriping. No where to pass or let others by. Plus really bad signage through here. I would avoid it next time. I’ll just drop down to the highway and run in that way.
C- I did not run. I came in section B by area bfe and was so over it after that section I hopped on the highway and skipped that section. Looks like rancher roads.

Overall. Was fun. All doable with a stock rig. Nothing I would stress over. Need a quality all terrain though. Air down just to deal with the rocks (ran 15psi). Easy trip.

Last edited by in4aride; May 27th, 2018 at 13:48.
Old May 27th, 2018, 15:19
NAXJA Member

Re: Rimrocker/Moab

Good pics. Scenery looks awesome
Old May 27th, 2018, 15:51
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippled View Post
Good pics. Scenery looks awesome
Definitely some good scenery. Plus I found some killer local camp spots while backtracking my little mistake.
Old May 28th, 2018, 14:39
NAXJA Forum User

I take geyser pass from Moab, and bypass the section south of the la sals too. You don't have to deal with the big rocks that way.
And I prefer that to taking 46.
But I don't like the part from nucla to Montrose, it's like a gravel freeway.
Old May 28th, 2018, 15:34
NAXJA Member

Rimrocker/Moab

Super cool pictures, that looks like a blast! Keep em coming.
Old May 28th, 2018, 16:38
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad luck View Post
I take geyser pass from Moab, and bypass the section south of the la sals too. You don't have to deal with the big rocks that way.
And I prefer that to taking 46.
But I don't like the part from nucla to Montrose, it's like a gravel freeway.
Yeah itís just a logging FS road for sure. That la sal pass connection sucked. How is the geyser pass option? After Nucla was probably my favorite part for sure.
Old May 28th, 2018, 17:43
Official MWC Brewmeister

Thanks for sharing Mike, looks like our kinda trip.
Good to know about what to bypass, don't know whether non-stop bumpiness or mud is my least favorite wheeling, and if it's not scenic either then the highway is my way.
Old May 28th, 2018, 17:49
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesslimited View Post
Thanks for sharing Mike, looks like our kinda trip.
Good to know about what to bypass, don't know whether non-stop bumpiness or mud is my least favorite wheeling, and if it's not scenic either then the highway is my way.
Yeah it was just unnecessary section to go. Iím hoping the guy above gives another good option vs the highway. But really it only ends up being a half hour on asphalt which is acceptable I think. There are lots of off shoots to explore and check out along the way that I didnít mess with. But the overall area was great. And sliding/jumping the Tacoma up dirt roads was a total hoot
Old May 28th, 2018, 18:58
Official MWC Brewmeister

We've taken the back roads from Ridgway through La Sal to Moab and back a couple times and enjoyed that, so doing any significant portion on dirt would be great.