• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle seals leaking after rear disc swap

i'm not sure if this is considered OEM or mod tech, but here goes :D

i recently did the ZJ rear disc brake swap on my D-44, and everything has been fine for 3 weeks. i noticed last night that the axle seals are leaking. pass. side is very slight... just a little damp looking, maybe a drip here & there, but the driver's side is pretty bad. gear oil is all over the inboard side of the rotor and is getting flung onto the wheel, tire, and into the wheelwell. i used all new timken bearings & seals, and gave both axles' sealing surfaces a rub with some emery cloth. there were no grooves or other damage on the sealing surface and i packed the seal with grease before re-installing the axles to prevent damage to the seal. the original seals leaked very, very slightly, but they had been there since 1987 ;)

looks like i need to replace at least one of the seals, but does anyone have any tips to prevent damage to the seal, or to increase sealing... maybe a dab of RTV where the seal sits in the axle tube?

thanks-
Chuck

Youve got my attention since Im getting ready to do this.Three things come to mind.
1-do use some silicone around the outside of the seal
2-do not use grease,use some gear oil
3-check your axle vent,make sure itsworking!

Back