NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Colorado Chapter > Colorado Trip Reports
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Colorado Trip Reports A place to post up details after an adventure.

Old November 24th, 2011, 15:32
NAXJA Member

Re: Carnage Exit on 37's

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
I haven ran them yet, my jeep is in pieces again thanks to my add.

I will say that I loved my 36" Iroks but hated my 39.5" Iroks. The 36's I'd run at 5-6psi w/o beadlocks on a 15x8 rim no problem. The grabbed rocks and cleaned out well in the mud. My 39.5's were fairly worn and I couldn't go less than 11psi on my 20x9's or I'd pop a bead. With the higher pressure they just wouldn't grab rocks and the lack of tread depth didn't help any.

These 42's are my last try with the Irok. They're brand new, on 17" bead locks so there are no excuses. If they don't perform I'm going to the Kevlar MTR's.
I'm not sold on Kevlars I think they're good tires ,but on 3 runs with Jeeps running them the last run being Spring Creek on Nov-13th they've done nothing my un-grooved Boggers could not do ,So in my opinion these tires have got alot of hype behind them created by folks who see a rig make a climb their rig did not ,and instantly give all credit to tire alone ,and no thought to driver skill /line picking or rig build difference. I'd love to borrow a set of 40-42 kevlars and test them out b4 buying them b/c honestly if they don't work like magic I'd hate to be stuck with them b/c they certainly look feminine next to Swampers /Pitbulls/Krawlers
Old November 25th, 2011, 13:40
NAXJA Member

I do agree on the look factor, I definitely think there are better looking tires out there. Actually the Iroks are one of my favorite looking tires overall. I'm not expecting my new Iroks to perform like a set of BFG Krawler red labels or Maxxis Stickies by any means, but my 39.5's just plain sucked ass. Again though, lots of pressure and a lack of good tread depth. I'm pretty confident that these 42's will work great. They're a taller tire on a smaller rim so there is more sidewall to flex, the rims will be getting beadlocks on them for christmas so I'll be able to air down right, and the tread is brand new so there is plenty of it to bite onto stuff. The sidewalls are already pretty soft too because apparently while they where sitting in a field mounted on a truck the guy went out there regularly to apply Armor-All and keep the from dry rotting. Hopefully that'll equate to them not neading a lot of break-in time. However, if for whatever reason I decide I'm not happy with them I'll most likely be getting the Kevlars. And yes, if that happens I'll probably be doing my best to borrow a set to try out first. I'd also be trying to borrow a set of Pit Bull Rockers too.
Old November 25th, 2011, 15:13
NAXJA Forum User

tires tires tires....blah blah blah.

They have a great rig that did great on an awesome trail.

its sure purdy too...
Old November 25th, 2011, 16:16
NAXJA Member

Mike, you're a towel .!.. ..!.

Yes though, great looking rog that once again showed how capable an XJ can be and still look like an XJ.
Old November 25th, 2011, 16:38
NAXJA Forum User

I had to