• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering box problems

rooneypower

NAXJA Forum User
I searched.....

When I turn my wheel to the left only, right when I start turning it and loud popping/ clicking noise comes form the steering box.

Sometimes when I turn the wheel, The wheel goes loose, It feels like someone is helping me turn the wheel for a split second. Way to easy to turn it.

Because of these problems my left turns are sloppy as hell, lots of play in the steering wheel before the car seems to turn.

I've got a 97 XJ Sport rollin on 34s.

If anyone knows what the heck is going on that would be great.

i'm having a similar issue and haven't figured it out yet. my problem is when making a right turn then returning straight after rolling a little ways the steering wants to pull back to the right. and i have to give it a little pull to the left and it will pop and jerk to the left and be fine again.

redneck23ms said:
i'm having a similar issue and haven't figured it out yet. my problem is when making a right turn then returning straight after rolling a little ways the steering wants to pull back to the right. and i have to give it a little pull to the left and it will pop and jerk to the left and be fine again.

mine does it all the time....o well...it is no big deal to me. course i just drive it on the trail...

I had the death wobble once and one day before going to work,i started the vehicle and when i put it into reverse i heard a very weird noise.I got out and looked at the drivers side by the steering box and had a verticle crack in the metal surrounding the box.If i had driven the Jeep that day,i would not be here typing this!

Back