NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Commander XK (2006 - 2010)
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Jeep Commander XK (2006 - 2010) Technical forum for the full-size Jeep Commander.

Old June 27th, 2019, 10:19
Member 5094 SEC

Transmission Help

My wife has an ‘06 Commander 3.7 that has developed an issue where it only has neutral. She told me stopped at the mailbox, drove about 10ft, and loss all gears. When you put it in reverse there’s a clicking sound like it’s trying to go in but want. Also the TipTronic does nothing.

I hooked an OBD scanner to it and got code U0103, Lost Communication with Gear Shift Control Module. Also ESP BAS and Traction Control lights are on as well as Service Park Assist. I did some researching and learned that most of the time the ESC is the culprit. I pulled it apart and cleaned it which did nothing. I replaced it, by finding a whole shifter, which did nothing as well. I then purchased the special dipstick tool and form the best I can tell the trans fluid is good.

Since I work 60+ hours a week I haven’t really had the time to dive deep into it, so now I’m asking y’all fellow Jeep nuts for a little help. If anybody has any suggestions or ideas to look into I’d greatly appreciate it.

‘87 XJ ”Debbie”
Old July 4th, 2019, 11:39
NAXJA Member

Re: Transmission Help

Did a little searching, since you replaced the esm it's either a wiring issue or more likely the control plate in the trans. I'm assuming this has nag 1 trans. I've replaced a bunch of these in the sprinters and Mercedes, same trans and common failure. It's bolted to the top of the valve body and has all the sensors and stuff on it. It can be intermittent and cause odd shifting or nothing at all. You can pull the connector on the trans and see if it's full of atf. If it is you can try resealing it and cleaning and see if that helps. The inner part of the connector unbolts and has the o rings on it.

The dtc info is pretty vague. Basically if it resets, check all the harness and pins, etc. If no problems replace the control plate
Old July 8th, 2019, 15:54
Member 5094 SEC

Re: Transmission Help

Appreciate the reply. I’ll look into that when I have a chance. Thanks again.

‘87 XJ ”Debbie”