• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB: D30 with 4.56 gears

Um, any offer I make would be way too low. I recently bought my 8.25 with 4.56 gears a detroit locker and alloy axles for $500. I would offer you something in that ballpark. For that kind of money I'd buy this axle for $1000 and have the C's rotated for what I need. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1035686&highlight=corbinafly (see last post for updated price).

Good luck with your sale.

Anyone else got a Dana 30 with 4.56's that they want to get rid of?

~Reed

your going to have to either join the club, or man up and pay what a built and geared d30 is worth, do the math, you could barely re-gear a d30 for $500. you think he's throwing in that arb and shafts for free?

you do understand a front axle has more stuff involved?

your going to have to either join the club, or man up and pay what a built and geared d30 is worth, do the math, you could barely re-gear a d30 for $500. you think he's throwing in that arb and shafts for free?

you do understand a front axle has more stuff involved?

I understand that it's more than I have, which is the biggest issue.
I understand that it's more than the other axle I linked to that the guy is asking $250 less.
I understand that used stuff doesn't cost as much as whatever it cost to build it, so sometimes it seems like stuff is thrown in for free.

I don't understand what "join the club" means, but it sounds like a better option that "man up and pay what a built and geared d40 is worth."

join the club meant 'join the club of people hoping to come up on a 4.56 d30 for cheap', theres a lot of us!

the problem with built axles, is people USUALLY dont replace good working axles, they run them till they break, then rebuild.

im just sayin (albeit rudely), that anyone with a functioning 4.56 d30, wont let it go cheap! its hard to put an assload of cash into an axle, then sell it for scrap prices.

join the club meant 'join the club of people hoping to come up on a 4.56 d30 for cheap', theres a lot of us!

the problem with built axles, is people USUALLY dont replace good working axles, they run them till they break, then rebuild.

im just sayin (albeit rudely), that anyone with a functioning 4.56 d30, wont let it go cheap! its hard to put an assload of cash into an axle, then sell it for scrap prices.

Fair enough. :cheers:
Yea, I think I got lucky on my rear. I have a source for a stock D30 and I'm probably going to regear it. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if anyone had one before I spent the money on new gears, carrier and install kit.

i suppose i'll jump in here too. sure it costs alot to regear, add a locker, ect. but we are talking a used axle here aswell. just how used or even abused is a mystery. its a gamble buying used axles for sure. and yes some are definatly worth alot more than others with the same internals. just how much more? too many variables right there. but like mentioned, not many sell a "good working" built axle. another thing to consider is that it IS used equiptment. so comparing to re-gearing with new parts is not an accurate comparison by any means. is this axle worth $1250? maybe, but buyer beware for sure. just my opinion.

having an axle regeared can be expensive but ive come to find that if you dont have the axle under the car it can save you ALOT of money, the gears themselves cost me more than the install did for my 30

having an axle regeared can be expensive but ive come to find that if you dont have the axle under the car it can save you ALOT of money, the gears themselves cost me more than the install did for my 30

Yea, it's not too expensive, but it does add up. I asked RobertK for a quote for gears with the axle not under the car. He said:

"If I do the labor of 125$ (out of the jeep):
Gear set -$135
Master install kit -$89
You will likely need a carrier for the lower ratio unless you have a 3.73 lower or a new one now? -$79
All parts are one day delivery and one day to install"

So we're talking about $430 plus any tax. And yea, the gears were more than the install. And if I do it this way I have all new stuff in the axle, apart from the axles themselves.

yeah Robert just did my 30 same exact thing 4.56 gears install and the works, I highly recommended him hes really honest and I feel safe giving him my stuff he did my rear 44 about a year ago and have had zero problems, although Apple Valley would be somewhat of a haul for you to his place

yeah Robert just did my 30 same exact thing 4.56 gears install and the works, I highly recommended him hes really honest and I feel safe giving him my stuff he did my rear 44 about a year ago and have had zero problems, although Apple Valley would be somewhat of a haul for you to his place

It's not that bad of a haul and I'd rather go to someone who has a good reputation and who is part of the NAXJA board over someone I don't know anything about.

Not yet. Haha. I know a guy in Apple valley that does gears.

Do tell? Do they live around the corner from me, or someone else?

Also, did you get my PM about a scanner. I talked to Auto Zone and they said that California Law doesn't allow them to scan for error codes any more.

~R

Back