• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Rebuild...

i seen this jeep the other day... well, a week or two ago. i recognized the jeep but couldnt find this thread. on 15 mile, you were turning north.... somewhere around dequindre. i was heading to work around 545pm.

Yep, I live between 15 and 16 on Dequindre. I thought I have seen your jeep around to but didn't think you lived around this area, but relized it was yours after texting you about the 44 you were selling. Only knowing it was you becasue you use the same screen name on GL4x4. Im xj98 on there... so want to go wheeling?? lol. Only place ive been to is rocks and vallys, I'm going to go check out the Mounds June 22 weekend.

Last edited:
ahhhhhhh, yes, summer job in sterling heights. im living in royal oak. sold the 44, thanks for the interest though.

i am booked all the way up to that weekend, and had planned to do some wheeling actually! but i am undecided thus far, im not sure if i want to go wheeling yet or keep upgrading. id rather go to R&Vs than the mounds. likely make a weekend out of it. i have access to land in lake george, so i want to camp there and wheel two days.

The Jeep looks good. How do you plan to lower the rear?

WELP... decided to go down in lift... I have 6.5 coils now with no isolators. Got some 4.5 coils off craigslist and going to put them on with isolators and see if I like it.

IMG_20120606_211058.jpg

Yeah Im glad I got a set, they are used but great shape. I have been plannning on them for the last year or so. Then I finaly had some money to buy them a few months back, emailed him for my order and two days later got a reply that he was shutting down! ha, but then these came up from another member so I jumped on them. soooo much nicer then bastard packs...

Got the springs installed. Uncomressed they are the same as rustys 6.5 springs. Left- Rough coutry 4.5, 155 spring rate; Right-Rusty 6.5, 180 spring rate

IMG_20120609_133439.jpg

Before:
IMG_20120609_141425.jpg

Easy Way to do springs....
IMG_20120609_132852.jpg

After: This is also adding back in the factory isolator, doesnt look like much but is deffenitly lower:
IMG_20120610_174040.jpg

Got the track bar adjusted and sway bar links cut down. Drives pretty nice. I like it, now just need to do the rear, but its going to suck because I stich welded the shackle brackets on...

ill have to stop by next weekend and let you swipe the stuff off my my SD card.

ive got through the photos, not a lot to work with, need to make a couple changes. but now i know for next time. i should have taken more photos with it though, 11mp is much better than the 3mp on my phone. lol.

Did some rattle chasing today... found some culprits...

First was the Driver brake caliper, I knew one bolt had come out and when I got in there found that both top and bottom were stripped. So I fixed that...

IMG_20120729_175535.jpg

There is just enough clearence but If I put new rotors and pads on it might hit, oh well I hope to be on tons by the time I need to do brakes. Also reminds me I have never done front brakes on this jeep, have had it for 40K.

IMG_20120729_180104.jpg

The next big rattle was from the long arm kit, the dang jam nut worked loose, hopfully not messing up the threads.. its tight now.

Also ordered new hatch stoppers, so hopfully that quites down the hatch rattle!

Went wheeling Sunday, had my shocks off so I could measure, going to need limit straps as well to keep the coils in...

IMG_20120624_102407.jpg
Where did you get those sliders?

JIM.

He was wondering if you had bought them from me. They look an awful lot like the set he built, wheeled, sold to me, never made it to my rig and went somewhere else. I do think that guy lives in Indiana, though.

He was wondering if you had bought them from me. They look an awful lot like the set he built, wheeled, sold to me, never made it to my rig and went somewhere else. I do think that guy lives in Indiana, though.

That's what I was thinking.

JIM.

Action from last weekend... pretty much no pics.... Fiance didnt want to get out in the cold!

IMG_20130302_130438_zps4e56e208.jpg

And poser shots in the parking lot.... and to people who say 4.5 inches of lift and stock steering cant flex!

IMG_20130302_165210_zps5afbf2c5.jpg

IMG_20130302_135824_zps647b2627.jpg

IMG_20130302_165237_zpsc642d536.jpg

You can see in the last pic where I clearenced the shackle brackets for room. I would say after 7 years my suspension is finally working pretty well! Just small things needed like changing out the stupid poly spring bushings to rubber, dang things sqeak like crazy!

I also need to decided on a steering set up as I think im pushing it on the stock drag link! thinking either heim type set up or currie.

Last edited:
Back