• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB NP231 Transfer Case

Well that is a bummer.

So much for making it to AAT.

Not rebuildable? What is left and what would be needed to put it all back together?

BTW, you might want to specify year and transmission. Input splines and depths varied over the years.

Well that is a bummer.

So much for making it to AAT.

Not rebuildable? What is left and what would be needed to put it all back together?

BTW, you might want to specify year and transmission. Input splines and depths varied over the years.
It's for a 2001 with an automatic transmission. The case is cracked I haven't yet pulled it out. I'm working on it as soon as I have it out I'll post pics

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If I am reading the chart correctly that means you need a 23 spline, medium length input. That would come from a post 1990 AW4 or a '93-'95 46RH ZJ.

Busted up case is a bummer. That probably means you are best off sourcing a full replacement. Cases seem expensive. Although if it is the front half of the case you might see if someone has their old one after having done a TeraLow conversion or something like that.

Here you go G. It's cracked on both halves of the case. I'll post more pics in the morning after I pull it out.
185c43e7dd705e926b38fe0e3bfdaee7.jpg
e00d00b4b2cadc73fe8adc1f1575eba5.jpg
b4b0b17f919bdfb006bb2203e1145ad2.jpg

Ouch.

There probably isn't anything worth rebuilding there.

I would be curious what happened inside to cause that though. That is a pretty remarkable failure.

There are a bunch of transfer cases on the east coast on ebay. No one seems to know what a medium length input is though. This one says "short", but given the application it came from I expect it is actually "medium": https://www.ebay.com/itm/95-96-97-0...ash=item2390af5ff1:g:i1YAAOSwaopZi9FA&vxp=mtr

I don't know what a local JY is going to have. P&P is a roll of the dice. You might try that Jeep junkyard in Rialto, and there is another Jeep Junkyard down here in San Diego.

So the culprit has been determined as the ball and socket inside the double cardigan. It's mangled, I think when it finally gave way it bound up and caused enough Force to crack the case. The picture kinda sucks. I'll get a better one when I separate it
245503fb0c15b1c7a52def3b099190f8.jpg

I can't tell anything from that picture...

But I will be curious to see the better one once you have it.

I don't think even driveshaft shops bother to pay any attention to the centering ball. I have now redone two driveshafts, serviced/built by two different shops, where it was clear that neither shop bothered to do anything to ensure a long service life on those centering balls. I think the driveshaft shops look at it as a matter of job security.

Here are the details on the first one I went through: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1138113

Thanks to socalbill I got a T-case now. Finally got time to tear mine apart and as I unbolted it fell in pieces. Internals are all good though.
eda4e92619e1d86a72d803dc9b921d0b.jpg

I had thumbs banned.

Back