• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiring up LED STOP TURN TAIL For light boxes Thor guards (w/pics)

FYI, the factory trailer harness plugs into the main harness (where the rear lamps would plug in) and the lamp harness plugs into it. I wired my JCR boxes with amber turn signals and no b/u lights. I spent a few hours trying to figure out why my amber t/s lights came on with the brake lights. I'm not sure how it works, but once I took the trailer harness out of the loop, all works as it should. Except now I have no trailer lights..

The trailer harness has two small relays wired into it. I haven't figured out how or why yet, but they must do the same thing as the Tow Ready converter does, and convert separate amber t/s into combined brake/turn signals for the trailer part. I suspect that the LED's are to blame for confusing things.

I guess I need a Tow Ready anyhow, except I actually need it for my trailer lights!

i found that my lights didnt work properly until i hooked up the 2 trailer wires that i removed from the drivers side. they are all interconnected somehow.

i wired 2 tow ready boxes for left and right separately, under $40 shipped from etrailer.

Ok, that wasn't it. I wired in a converter and my t/s are still dimly lit when the brakes are on. Checking with the multi-meter shows a tiny bit of current feeding back to the t/s through the converter when the brake lights are on. probably not enough to show with a regular bulb, but enough to light the LEDs.

Everything works fine if I take the converter out of the circuit. Maybe I don't need trailer lights after all... :dunno:

I wired my JCR boxes with amber turn signals and no b/u lights. !

im confused as to why you need the converter if your wiring the turn seperate into an amber LED.

mine was like this before... i had ground/tail/brake going into the large oval, and the amber turn and side marker stood alone. no converter needed. if you wanted to, you could wire a reverse into the bumper or something. again, no converter needed. but i do think i had some feedback into my turns like you described, 4 of the 13 LEDs would stay dimly lit.

the converter is needed to make the oval handle turn/tail/stop. the converter "converts" from 4 wire (turn/tail/stop/ground) into 3 wire (turn and stop/tail/ground) so that you can run the red oval. i piggy backed off of the turn and stop and ground to run my side marker.

FWIW... i do not have a hyper blink either.

I don't need the converter for the lights in my XJ, I need it for trailer lights. My b/u light is already on my tire carrier and run independently of the taillight harness.

I definitely need a diode, but how do I know which one?

Back