• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiring up LED STOP TURN TAIL For light boxes Thor guards (w/pics)

I have the jcr light boxes with the side marker. I also have the towready box, how do I wire the side lights to a constant source so they will act as running lights.
Tie them in to your Tail lamps on the "To Trailer" side.
Tail and sidemarker is the same function on the lamp, just different locations. (rear and side)

Reviving an old thread but...do you need the flasher if you are using incandescant lights or only if you are using LEDS?

I dont believe so, but I could be wrong on this.

Hook everything up and see if it works. If it flashes fast (like indicating a burnt out bulb), the electric flashers are less than 10$ and can be found at probably ANY auto supply store. Your lights will still work, just blink fast on the turn signal.

Reviving an old thread but...do you need the flasher if you are using incandescant lights or only if you are using LEDS?

Only LED's. LED's don't draw enough Amps to make the mechanical flashers work correctly. Incandescant lamps draw more Amps and do not require a electronic flasher.

IIR, the xj's have a thermal flasher. all you need to do is buy an electronic one from the parts store and swap 'em out.

Sorry for bumping an old thread up but I just finished installing LEDs on my 99 XJ and I would like to get rid of the hyperflash signals.

Do I just tell the parts store guy I want an electronic 5 pin relay? Any specific part numbers?

Thanks

EP27, look for "electronic" or "led" on the packaging or relay itself. EP27 is the OEM part number for the flasher, but most of the aftermarket models are the heavy duty/led friendly ones. You shouldn't even need to ask the parts counter, they're on the normal shelves. Usually around $15.

Just a side, I found the relay at Napa for around $15, and Napa also had a trailer converter plug for around $13. It is Napa brand, but I found it local, so bonus... and the price was right.
BS01

I thought there was a way to do this without using a "trailer converter."

I may be wrong.

it is possible. i just did mine this weekend. all you need to do is wire a seperate light for the turn signal. i bought the oval red led light that is a Stop/Turn/Tail but when you add an amber colored led light and wire it to the tun signal wires, it becomes just a Stop/Tail. after all that was done i just capped of the backup light wires for future use.

it is possible. i just did mine this weekend. all you need to do is wire a seperate light for the turn signal. i bought the oval red led light that is a Stop/Turn/Tail but when you add an amber colored led light and wire it to the tun signal wires, it becomes just a Stop/Tail. after all that was done i just capped of the backup light wires for future use.

Im trying to do this on my 00' XJ with the JCR Boxes in the rear and LED's all the way around (bulb replacements up front and trailer lights in the rear). Id like to do this w/o the trailer converter box also, but all of my exterior lights are acting haywire now with the front LED bulbs installed and trying to wire the rears. Does anyone have a solid write-up without the trailer converter box and using all exterior LEDs on a 97+? Im ready to revert it all back to normal and do one at a time to trouble-shoot but I figured Id ask.

P.S. I started a thread on this, just trying to reach an audience that has some direct experience with the project. And, yes I did install the LED (electronic) flasher.

The issue you guys are having with converting to LED is in the front wiring harness with the way the OEM wired the side marker lights. They are grounded through the #2 Turnsignal lamps filament (which is why when that lamp burns out you loose the sidmarker lamp, and the sidemarker turnsignal). You can use a standard SPDT relay to essentially drive the side marker with the only difference being that the side markers with flash in unison with the front lamps always instead of only when the parking lamps are off.

You will need to cut the wiring to the side marker. (I'm using the FSM for my 99, but I would think it's safe to assume that all 97+ use the same colors on the front end light harness.)

Left side
Brown is your Parking light
Lite Green is the Turn Signal
Connect the relay as follows.

Brown from the harness to the Common or #30
Brown from the side marker lamp socket to the NC or #87a
Green from the harness to the coil #86
Green from the side marker lamp socket to a ground
Ground terminal #85 on the relay.
Finely insulate the #87 terminal on the relay to prevent shorting out.

Right side
Dark Green / Yellow is your Parking light
Tan is the Turn Signal

Dark Green / Yellow from the harness to the Common or #30
Dark Green / Yellow from the side marker lamp socket to the NC or #87a
Tan from the harness to the coil #86
Tan from the side marker lamp socket to a ground

Ideally I would make an attempt to locate the relay in a location where it is protected from direct sprays of water, and to seal all you wiring splices to keep moisture out.

Note you will still need to use a electronic turnsignal/hazard flasher unless you want the speed flash.

Last edited:
The issue you guys are having with converting to LED is in the front wiring harness with the way the OEM wired the side marker lights. They are grounded through the #2 Turnsignal lamps filament (which is why when that lamp burns out you loose the sidmarker lamp, and the sidemarker turnsignal). You can use a standard SPDT relay to essentially drive the side marker with the only difference being that the side markers with flash in unison with the front lamps always instead of only when the parking lamps are off.

You will need to cut the wiring to the side marker. (I'm using the FSM for my 99, but I would think it's safe to assume that all 97+ use the same colors on the front end light harness.)

Left side
Brown is your Parking light
Lite Green is the Turn Signal

Brown from the harness to the Common or #30
Brown from the side marker lamp socket to the NC or #87a
Green from the harness to the coil #86
Green from the side marker lamp socket to a ground

Right side
Dark Green / Yellow is your Parking light
Tan is the Turn Signal

Dark Green / Yellow from the harness to the Common or #30
Dark Green / Yellow from the side marker lamp socket to the NC or #87a
Tan from the harness to the coil #86
Tan from the side marker lamp socket to a ground

Ideally I would make an attempt to locate the relay in a location where it is protected from direct sprays of water, and to seal all you wiring splices to keep moisture out.

Note you will still need to use a electronic turnsignal/hazard flasher unless you want the speed flash.

Will the relays cause a similar draw like resistors or standard light bulbs will, or will I be able to retain the energy efficency of LED lights with this relay method (assuming Im not using turn/hazard function)? Id love to be able to leave my parking lights on all night by accident and not worry about the battery. Also, can you explain how two of these SPDT relays (one for each side) make everything work as normal again? For example; right now, my fog lights and third brake light flash when my hazard switch is on. Im still trying to understand how all this works and with the addition of the electronic flasher, if there is anything else Im missing. Thank you.

Last edited:
for anyone looking to do this, be sure to get the trail ready boxes. i waisted $25-30 on cheap ones from hopkins (available from basically every parts store) and they didnt work.

YOU WANT TO TOW READY CONVERTER.

i was able to get the from etrailer for under $40 shipped. plug and play.

Back