• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which plug for the 1997 5.4 triton

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. I have been putting this off for too long and now is the time. I am looking to replace the spark plugs in my 1997 5.4 triton equipped E-150 van. Over the years I would read and hear about the stories on the plugs blowing out on certain years and also plugs breaking in two on trying to replace them. I am having a hard time trying to find out what year 5.4's are prone to this happening.

From what I can find, my 1997 does not have these problems. When reading about the 2003-2010 years I see that Champion and other companies have made upgraded spark plugs to get rid of the problem of them breaking in two pieces. The Champion 7989 model plug will not work in my 1997 5.4, but will fit 2003-2010 models.

So I guess I have a couple questions. What is the difference in my 5.4 in a 1997 vs other years? Which plug would you use in my van for towing purposes and long idle times?

Kim

I don't know which plug to buy, but the 99 and 01 F150s were famous for blowing plugs out of the head. I had a 2000 F150, was kind of a PITA but took a few hours to do. Just take your time. I have no idea what kind of access to the motor your van has tho.

mac 'get er done' gyvr

From what I have been reading today 1997-2000 have different plugs than 2001-2008. I think I am going to stick with the Motorcraft plugs for my year. Seems to be what they like.

From what I have been reading today 1997-2000 have different plugs than 2001-2008. I think I am going to stick with the Motorcraft plugs for my year. Seems to be what they like.

I have found that if you can afFord the motorcraft stuff, that I what I would recommend. I use it for as much as I can. You can get the motorcraft stuff at Autozone too.

mac 'or know your Ford dealer parts guy...they have discounts' gyvr

I was a Ford Senior Master tech before I went to work for Caterpillar. No difference in spark plugs, but there was a thread count difference in the heads, that's what kept the plugs from blowing out. Use the recommended Motorcraft plug. Also, if it is high millage, soak the bores in a little wd-40 and make sure the engine is warmed up a little, not hot, but warm, makes it easier to get plugs out. A couple 3/8" drive locking extensions (like 6" ea), a 3/8" drive wobble, and a 5/8" 3/8" drive spark plug socket with a wobble built in will make the job a TON easier.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Just picked up the Motorcraft plugs yesterday. Man does the dealership try to make a buck. They first sold them to me at $8.18 a piece and I was like, are you serious? So I purchased them and made a call to Advance Auto. They have them listed at $4.99 a piece.
I go back in and ask to return the plugs as I can get a better price. They said they would take off $20.00 if that would make me happy. I said no, Advance Auto will make me happier. They would not price match so off I went to AA. :D
Now to get the plugs soaking in some W-D40 to help getting them out. Hopefully no problems arise.

I usually tell the techs that do side work to get them somewhere else because of how cheep they are other places. (dont tell the boss lol) i will sell them to customers all day long but im not gonna rape the techs i work with. :D

4.99 each is only like .40 more than dealer cost around here so i couldn't help you with that either. us dealer parts bitczes know autozone/advanced sell motorcraft plugs cheaper but ford don't care. it sucks for us, they also just lowered a bunch of 6.0 prices without lowering our cost, bastards.

to answer your other question though, i believe its the 5.4 3valve that had the plug problems but i thought that was 04 and up.

Edit: let me know if you need some coils for dat bitch :D

The early 5.4s up to 01 or 02 had like 3 threads holding in the spark plug.

When they switched to the 3 valve head and variable cam timing (or whatever Ford calls it) ... in 05 or something ... that's when they had the plugs breaking.

I've got a '03 F150. I only use motorcraft parts where I can. I changed my plugs a few years back. It was a royal PIA the first time but wont be too hard the next time

Back