• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's your favorite tool?

Welder, grinder, or an air hammer. I can't count how many times I've used an air hammer and thought "Damn, that would have sucked to knock out by hand with a 3lb and a punch"

Oooh, the "rounds off all fastener types equally well" wrenches!

I might use those to spin something on and off once it's already loosened but there is no way in hell I'd ever use those to loosen or tighten a bolt. Just asking to round off the head.

004.jpg

Ratcheting wrenches for the win

Took the has off of my 95 4.0 with one... It refused to break lol

Last edited:
Oooh, the "rounds off all fastener types equally well" wrenches!

I might use those to spin something on and off once it's already loosened but there is no way in hell I'd ever use those to loosen or tighten a bolt. Just asking to round off the head.

Don't confuse spline drive with 12 point sockets or some cheap one size fits all as seen on TV wrench. The big players all have spline drive. Snap On, Matco (rebranded ezred), cornwell, sk. These things work, and they don't slip. Unit bearing bolts, no problem. The extra length (longer than a 1/2" ratchet) makes unit bearing bolt removal easy. I've thought I was going to break the flex joint on the thing doing unit bearings, and it didn't slip. The other place where they shine are the e12 bell housing bolts. No more 4 foot extension from underneath. Oh, here's a bolt people hate, the 15mm nut on top of the drivers side shock of an E350. 14 year old RV, used these on that bolt coming from underneath along the frame rail, no problem, made changing that shock a 30 minute job. Most shops curse the drivers front shock on those. I've also used them on rounded off bolts where a 6 point was starting to slip. So no, it's not the "rounds off all fasteners equally well" tool that you think it is. If it was, you wouldn't be able to pick them up off the tool truck. I'll probably pick up a 2nd set for the jeep tool roll they're so handy.

Heck, I'm such a right tool for the job guy that I'm contemplating buying these to do the oil filter adapter orings.
(pic deleted because its setting off malware warnings - mac)

After all, I did pick up one of these and a case spreader when I went to re-gear.
IMG_3287_small.jpg

Last edited:
I love my little dewalt impact driver. I put a 3/8 socket adapter on it and I'm good to go. It does 95% of the stuff I need it to.

you guys remember the metrinch infomercials? someone gave me 2 sets of those probably 14 years ago. i love them. they actually work very well.
http://www.metrinch-tools.com/
i like them because most vehicles have a mix of sae and metric fasteners and this reduces the amount of crap you need to carry on the trail.

Well I migh change my answer in 2 days.

Just bought a 3050b snapon air hammer...

My ryobi 1/2" 18v impact gun, it turns my hour long trips to the junk yard into minute long trips, my buddy needed a washer from inside the timing cover, we found an xj with the front clip off already, anyways we took everything off and got the washer in less than 20 minutes.
Getting axle shafts out are a breeze, I haven't found a JY shaft I couldnt remove yet, i use it for almost everything and it lasts forever. Everyone I know either has one or wants one.

My cordless impacts from snapon. After that it would be my reversable racheting wrenches. Third would be my BFH.

This guy ^^ is my favorite TOOL ! Oh wait, wrong tool. Haha. I kid.

I love my cheap harbor freight electric impact, best 40 bucks I ever spent. Makes everything so easy.

Just bought a 3050b snapon air hammer...

We're referencing automotive tools here, not industrial jackhammers. ;)

Any one tool would be hard to narrow down, but the top 4 would definitely be:

-Angle grinder (Takes off bolts that the electric impact has just rounded off)

-Welder (Does away with the bolt I just cut off, and makes a stronger, more direct fusion between metals. Bolts are for ******s)

-Electric impact (Good for the well maintained and lubricated fasteners)

-A case of PBR (increased perceived wiener size, increased muscle strength, increased fun levels, increased problem solving skills, intense high-fiving.)

Back