• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's brewing?

Buddy and I are going for a hard cider first, looking to get into home brewing at some point this fall. The idea of having our own beer and such just seems really cool. We are thinking of running the set up in a cellar under the garage, it gets really cool down there, although damp at times. Will help alot in the summers I think. We are still in the process of deciding what else we need, still lots of reading to do. +1 on this threads awesomeness!

-Eric

Check out your local brewing supply shop they probably have classes or know of a club that can show you how it's done. I live about 5min from mine and they have classes every Sunday. I learned by reading books try to get as much information as you can then do it your own way. One of the best books for a first time home brewer is The Complete Joy of Home Brewing by Charlie Papazian.

Ok see here is why I'm on NAXJA.... I live in a rural area of South Carolina with the largets closest town being Florence and its 20 - 30 min drive depending on the tractors in the road between here and there. We have a Walmart and a Lowe's and more fast food joints then you can shake a stick at.... I doubt Florence has a brew supply shop either. They just got our first Microbrew/resturant there this year! :rolleyes: I'll look into that book though.

if you are doing fruit....

might i suggest oregon's purees, add to secondary, no boil.

i've had not-so-good luck with adding fruit to boils leading to cloud haze from protein and an off-flavor from pectin.

the ONLY time I ever add fruit to a boil is when I'm doing pumpkin ale, which i do every year, and I begin with a pumkin i roast and add to the boil.

Dude I XXXXing owned it and steeped the berries for 20 mins at flame-out. That blackberry is rocking out to the hefeweizen. Nice and balanced so far...and we're only a few days in primary.

Dunkel is kickin', too. Pumpkin is next. Might actually sit on that until next year.

I just started a super complex, and my first ever, brew.

Water, sugar, yeast, and grated ginger. Oh, and a shot of lime juice.

I figured I should start simple. So far it smells... interesting lol.

Well the research has begun! I remembered I knew a guy in Columbia that brews. He sugested me to read a free DL from here: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org./ I guess I'll lurk some after I read this Zymurga PDF

Where is a good place online to buy supplies? I want to start brewing my own beer this winter when I get back home.

And back to the top.

In the last 4 weeks, I've brewed a cream ale, an American brown (clone of Big Sky's Moose Drool,) a Scottish 80, and a dry Irish stout. I've got a southern English nut brown, and a winter spiced ale on the kettle now.

Got chastised in the LHBS yesterday because I'm not ready or set up for partial mash or all-grain. Looks like I need to get busy on the brew sculpture I've been thinking about for the last couple of years.

And back to the top.

In the last 4 weeks, I've brewed a cream ale, an American brown (clone of Big Sky's Moose Drool,) a Scottish 80, and a dry Irish stout. I've got a southern English nut brown, and a winter spiced ale on the kettle now.

Got chastised in the LHBS yesterday because I'm not ready or set up for partial mash or all-grain. Looks like I need to get busy on the brew sculpture I've been thinking about for the last couple of years.

Bucket head

Bottled my blackberry hefe, bottled the dunkelweizen, bottled the pils lager, moved the dark munich to secondary for lagering, and skipped on pumpkin for a dry-hopped gingerbread-inspired brown ale. First recipe I designed myself. I have moved completely all-grain and the quality is miles ahead of extract.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Yeah it pretty much sucks. I have moved to 22oz bottles at least, so I am not capping as many. Can't afford the kegging stuff right now, or I'd be all over it.

Semi off-topic.. but where are good places to order/purchase beer making equipment. When I was living in Spokane, WA I purchased locally. But since I moved back I had sold my supplies to my friend who I used to brew with. I now have a place to store it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Bottled my blackberry hefe, bottled the dunkelweizen, bottled the pils lager, moved the dark munich to secondary for lagering, and skipped on pumpkin for a dry-hopped gingerbread-inspired brown ale. First recipe I designed myself. I have moved completely all-grain and the quality is miles ahead of extract.

Added some extra sugar to the gingerbread to boost the alcohol level, thin the body, and re-pitched with a lager yeast to fire it all up again. Starting to taste pretty neat.

Sampled the bottled pils and I am quite pleased with the results. Tastes like clean product and no 'storage' flavor like extract brewing.

About mail-order home brew supply: Austin Homebrew, MoreBeer, Northern Brewer and Midwest Supply are all good. I'm spoiled, I can hit NB and Midwest pretty much any time.

Got Saaz? Hops on deck for triple decoction brew session yesterday. Long day, but so worth it for authentic Czech beer.

d03620e2-399c-5012.jpg

d03620e2-3a13-773a.jpg

My drunk neighbor came outside while I was brewing a couple weeks ago. I had one of those packs out and when I opened it he said, "Whoa! WTF is that???" I said, "M R hops, my good man."

Back