• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what to get next?

Sting25

twitter.com/cmchadwick
OK now that I have taken the plunge into the offroad world and have my wife talked into letting me continue to spend some cash every month. which part next.

TnT front bumper with steering brace or DGP gastank skid...

I can only get one in june and one in july and then a winch in august I am thinking.

So which one gives me the best protection? I am leaning twords the bumper cuz of the unibody protection (I can replace a gastank)

thanks for you thoughts

Good for you Chris, glad you're getting some use out of those 4.56 gears. I have a feeling you'll be thinking about what locker(s) to get soon.

I vote for the bumper

Terry

go the sliders from JCR already I just need them modified a bit. Have an appointment with crawlertech tomorrow to talkabout what I need done...Unless you want some extra work terry?

I want the part that bolts to the pinch seem moved in, in the rear so they are square with the body and then the arms cut down and welded to the frame...

I am trying to avoid lockers I want new axels!

Gas tank skid....... yeah, you can get a new tank, but think of where you'll likely be when it gets smashed and possibly punctured. Stranded and fuel dumped all over mother nature.

My .02 anyway...... :dunno:

YELLAHEEP said:
Gas tank skid....... yeah, you can get a new tank, but think of where you'll likely be when it gets smashed and possibly punctured. Stranded and fuel dumped all over mother nature.

My .02 anyway...... :dunno:

Agree...bumpers are just pretty things that get hung-up and scratched up. I would finish up w/ the protection, i.e. transfer case skid and rear quarter skins next. The skins are much easier to repaint than knocking out the dents in your sheetmetal. Then you could see how you want to tie-in the bumpers....there's my .02, now you have .04 :laugh:

X3 on the gas tank skid!

I had fuel issues that required dropping the tank. That's when I discovered the dent under the plastic skid. A new tank for the '90 cost $130, fuel pick-up/sender assembly was another $130. That's beans compared to leaving it in the woods overnight, and finding a stripped shell when you get back.

Sure Unibodys can be tweaked, and they can be straightened. If you should be so unfortunate to hit something that hard, at least you can limp home with bent sheet metal.

Your injectors need what...30 psi before they even fire? You can ace your fuel system without puncturing the tank. I have yet to jerry-rig a fuel pump that will draw through the in-tank turbine style pumps. Hmmm, maybe that's a good spare to have in remote areas.

FWIW, my front bumper is straight as the day we bought the Jeep...knock on wood...but I have dinged the rockers and replaced the tank. I'm not going out again until I have the tank protected.

+.02 more

Last edited:
ok I am going to get the tank skid ty guys...

Already have the quater panel protection, sliders, and belly skid so DPG skid comming in june. :)

Mounting it should be fun I removed my forward nut strips when I installed my bumper with a BFG as it was a very tight fit with the quater panel work that had been done.... think those 2 forward bolts make that much of a difference? (one bolt each side)

skid protection
lift
tires
gears
lockers
bumpers
CB and other random stuff.

I bashed my fuel tank a couple times before finally getting a skid for it. No big deal though as the 2000s have a plastic tank it just popped out each time.
Jdogg4 has it pretty well in order.

Back