• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you do to your XJ today

Awwww........ sad day taking the Cherokee to the salvage yard. I had to do that with my 98 that got busted up pretty bad when I got center-punched by a jerk running a red light. I really miss that 98, it was a good jeep, kept me alive even though it got totally totalled. :-(

As for what I did today, I ordered a set of ACOS for the front of the 99 to help level it back out after the winch bumper and winch installation.

Finaly dropped the belly pan, tightened up the joints, and did a tranny service after putting it off for the last year.
0227112049.jpg

0227112049a.jpg

started at 130 this afternoon, walked in the door about 1230am. Hit a snag at just about every point possible.

-Placed jacks to close together - had to remove one long arm in order to remove the belly pan
-Couldn't get dipstick tube out
-Got the wrong filter / gasket
-Installed trans pan - forgot filter :doh:
-forgot grease gun at home
-Installed one long arm upside down - had to remove and flip
-Took 3 hours of cussing and kicking to get the uppers to line up with the last bolt hole.:badpc:

:banghead: AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

I know a guy that makes a long arm setup where you dont have to remove the arms to remove the bellypan... ;)

lol glad you got it back together man.

I know a guy that makes a long arm setup where you dont have to remove the arms to remove the bellypan... ;)

My Iron Rock LA setup is like this if your talking crossmember.

I know this guy too. Got one of his kits on my xj

Someone decided to test out my new front bumper with the side of their car. Fortunately the bumper won and the beamer lost :) will post pics later

Someone decided to test out my new front bumper with the side of their car. Fortunately the bumper won and the beamer lost :) will post pics later

DSC01359.jpg

DSC01360.jpg

It doesnt look too bad, as my bumper is shifted to the left about 3 inches and the braces/extensions for the bumper took most of the impact. The bumper its self is straight, but I am a little worries what the "frame" looks like under the braces.:bawl:

But it does look better than his rig:moon: He almost took his boys with him to get gas.... MAN Im so glad he didnt.

DSC01358.jpg

DSC01362.jpg

How did that happen. From the damage that was done to his car it looks like the insurance company may blame you. But like I said how did this happen.

How did that happen. From the damage that was done to his car it looks like the insurance company may blame you. But like I said how did this happen.

I was stopped, getting ready to make a right hand turn out of a gas station parking lot that has the pumps just off the street. The driver of the other car, was pulling in off the street to get gas. I was 5 feet behind the white line and he was coming in at a angle.

IF the insurance company tries to blame me they will have a lawsuit on their hands.

Yeah if came into your lane its his fault. No need to get all sue happy just yet. Thats a bummer hope your XJs uni-body is okay they can be straightend if you need to do that I would reccommend frame stiffiners because once they are bent and straightend they bend that much easyer next time.

I agree, I just went under the rig to take another look at the the damage. It looks like my unibody frame may be ok, but the front tabs are bent over. I will be taking it to get a few estimates later today or tomorrow.

If you ask me that is looking like a good ad for the company that made the bumper. Should send them the pics, I'm sure they could use them lol.
Glad all the people are ok though, can't say the same for the car though. I can tell by the way your plate is smashed it looks like he came across the front of your bumper at a angle like he was rushing in to the gas station. He had to of been going pretty fast to do that and if he was going that fast in to a driveway then he deserves to have his car smashed like that. I'm just glad the guy didn't have his kids with him seeing how the car seat is right there on that side.

Got 4 15x7 Cherokee Sport/Wrangler Alloy's. Today ordered 4 General Grabber A/T 2's in 255/70-15. Would love to throw some 31's on it but this size is as large as I go on stock gears :(

Should have my new water pump on and the wheels/tires mounted next weekend.

Yeah it sucks having stock gears I am running 32" on stock gearing I though that I was murdering my engine loaded going threw the .I think a couple a simis passed me and waved good by

went out and took a couple more pics of the damage

DSC01363.jpg

DSC01377.jpg

DSC01365.jpg

DSC01364.jpg

DSC01374.jpg

DSC01371.jpg

went out and took a couple more pics of the damage
Sorry to hear about the damage, that blows! I would guess the guy had insurance?

I would get a quote from a body shop on having it fixed. Then possibly look at getting a check cut and fixing it yourself.

The front two mounting holes in the sheet metal do nothing (I cut mine off). Usually there are some pieces of angle that tie the bumper into the front of the cross member. Those pieces are what gives the strength to the front holes, along with the additional tie-ins.

Cut the bent tab with the two front holes off. Then use some angle iron to tie in to the front of the cross member if the bumper doesn't already use them. I would then look at getting some front reinforcement plates welded in (HD Eng, TMR). That would help strengthen the front end considerably, especially since it had a decent impact.

Back