• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

I spent the Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday installing a CPS, Detours Backbone, and cleaning up the IAC. Cutting up a stock bumper to fit the Backbone was a PITA but is was worth it in the end.

And you didn't have the time to take and post one picture of the backbone? :bawl:

I took a bunch of pictures of the install, just haven't got around to posting them. Remember, I just finished it up yesterday. :D I'll see if my "more computer literate than me" wife can figure out how to get them posted.

I do like the Backbone and the service that Mark @ DetoursUSA provided was excellent. The Jeep looks funny with it still on the stock tires and suspension.

I took a bunch of pictures of the install, just haven't got around to posting them. Remember, I just finished it up yesterday. :D I'll see if my "more computer literate than me" wife can figure out how to get them posted.

I do like the Backbone and the service that Mark @ DetoursUSA provided was excellent. The Jeep looks funny with it still on the stock tires and suspension.

No excuses, we like the pictures. :D

I was set on the backbone system for my XJ until I had a t-bone accident. Now I want a battering ram. That backbone is a great idea. Stock look with a winch!

I wanted to maintain a fairly stock look with my XJ and the Backbone gave me a way to do that while providing a good winch mount and pull points. It was also cheaper than a full bumper. If I decide that I want something custom, I can use the Backbone as a HD starting point.

Cut and folded the rear quarters
Built most of my rear bumper... still not finished...
Welded the POS Rusty's trac bar bracket to the frame so it would quit working the bolts loose!

Finished building D44s for the front and rear of my Samurai... Got the front bolted up.
Now All i need to finish is the steering!

Had to drive to Easley to get drive shafts late monday night and managed to blow a tire in the BMW... :(

Holy crap you're alive! Haven't seen you around on here in a couple of months....

changed the oil in my wi9fes 2000 XJ. fixed her horn and cleaned my garage up. tomorrow ill be removing the hho kit off of my 88 and when payday comes around, ill be getting new sensors so that she will be tip top again.

Hacked up my M416 to install a CJ tailcate. Welding old rusted 1963 steel to new 1/8" angle was a challenge.

HPIM1242.jpg

spent Saturday "un-effing" the fuel injection on a '77 Porsche 924. An employee of mine paid some "mechanic" that "knows Porsches" $2000 to completely booger-up his toy. Purrs like a kitten, now.... Have I mentioned that I hate German engineering?

spent Saturday "un-effing" the fuel injection on a '77 Porsche 924. An employee of mine paid some "mechanic" that "knows Porsches" $2000 to completely booger-up his toy. Purrs like a kitten, now.... Have I mentioned that I hate German engineering?

hahaha...I've worked on a couple and had zero fun what so ever. My dad spent most of his life working on Porsche's....loves them to death and has always wanted one. But the man drives a Honda and cusses up and down the wall every time he see's my Jeep or ever helps me work on it. Doesn't make a bit of sense to me....:dunno:

For my weekend I worked 2nd shift last night, drove up to Winston Salem after I got off work. Today we took the truck up to the mountains for the day and cruised around on the parkway to take in some of the fall color. Also took my step dad to some of the places along the parkway he has never been to before.

Came back to Winston, drove the jeep around the block so I could change the oil, then drove back to Charlotte to get ready for class at 8am :doh:

Got drunk saturday night at our halloween party and enjoyed Trailratethis busting my chops all night about how my jeep wasn't running yet. Good times....ya big jerk.

I am! I was dead for a bit there but I'm back alive now. I've just been so busy at work! I'll be at the Flog. Bring ur ass there!

I want to but my weekends have become pretty slammed full lately with it getting near the end of the semester. What are the dates for the flog? I know it's coming in just a couple of weeks, just can't remember exactly which weekend.

Got some new skins for the MJ.....35X12.5 Kuhmo MT's. Got them mounted today at Merchant’s Tire (and also spend 6 bills on new skins for the wife’s car). They only charged me for mounting/balancing for four tires, but they did all five…..

Jeff

40running_2005.jpg

40running_2006.jpg

40running_2007.jpg

Both 2" spacers for the 89. Charged the battery in it and drove it around the yard.

Tested the flex on the 96 at the Mid-Carolina Meet and Greet, measured at 19" with the 235's. A stock XJ on 30's measured at 17" of flex so I was happy.

Pics from the meet and greet are on my Myspace page if anyone's interested. Lots of great jeeps. We even flexed a Miata. http://www.myspace.com/southerntracker

I did nothing other than take my jeep out on some fire roads

Got a rack from a friend of mine for free on Friday:

1001699hw8.jpg

Also scored some free tickets to the Hockey Game Friday night...which was good considering I hadn't been to a hockey game in a couple of years.

Went and helped the friend who gave me that pick up his new project on Saturday...a 1986 Toyota 4Runner. We're planning on building it up big time, converting it over to SFA (already picked up the front axle for it Friday as well).

Then today was spent in SC at a family event as well as lunch.

Last edited:
Here are a few more pics from today. This is 35's on a 3.5" RE lift soon to be long arms.....

rearquarter3.jpg

rearquarter4.jpg

This pic shows how I cut, tucked the inner part up and then where the outer part would be.
rearquarterpasscut.jpg

rearquarterpass.jpg

Finally how does one flex it when he doesn't want to roll the tires (cuz that is so darn hard) out ......tell the boy to dig a lay down fox hole! He got tired and it's not deep enough. Lazy arse! LOL! ;) Sway bar not disconnected.

flexinhole.jpg

flexinhole2.jpg

flexinhole3.jpg
:roll:

That's certainly an interesting front fender trim job ya got there. Nice circle. lol I cut and folded my back last week. I left the tab on mine and put screws thru it instead of weling it. It worked ok I guess...

Now you just need to add onto your bumper to come forward under under the quarters...

Weekend progress:

While frantically trying to finish building the Samurai i got a lot done this weekend.
Got both axles installed in the samurai and the steering rigged up temporarily. I had to do a Z link becasue of time but I'll do high steer when we get back from URE. I replaced the rear DS flange that I broke in the XJ and rebuilt the front end after toasting the bearings on the ride home like a dumbass. Don't try to drive far on your front diff. Shit over heats and bearings fly apart! I promise! I've still gotta chop the hood on the samurai to match the grille width and trim some more on the rear. Lots of fun!

DSC00787.jpg

Last edited:
Did nothing but trouble shoot the transmission and get pissed off. <--as far as the jeep is concerned. On the other hand, help lead my son's peewee football to a playoff win, Going to the championship on the 15th.

Back