• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weather in Oct??

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
My wife wants to know about the temps that occur in Oct. in Moab. (She thinks it will be too cold for tent!);)
What have you folks experienced there at that time of year? We get snow by then, but we're at 7000ft.:cool:
TIA!

BillR
NAXJA #613

It probably depends on what she means by "too cold". :)

Three years ago, we were in shirt-sleeves at night in the beginning of October. Then, in 2001, it was dropping to the low 40's, upper 30's in the evening and the LaSal Mts. SE of town got a good coating of snow. (I didn't make it last year).

Like most high desert, the sunny days get warm (70's, 80's) and the rocks retain heat into the evening. "Normal" evening temps would probably be in the upper 40's, lower 50's in town.

I've always found tenting to be comfortable in those conditions, but, then again, that's just me.

Key word: layers! And, for couples, there's always other ways of keeping warm if the temps should drop. :D

Mike in NJ :patriot:

I go camping mostly between 8,000 and 12,000 ft, 40F-50Fis common once the sun sets, even got snowed on once time in July. Rain and snow are the only things that I'll break out the tent for. Just throw down a ground cloth and insulating pad then sleeping bag over that.

Some tips to stay warm: layers (like Mike said), cotton has horrible insulative qualities when wet (change out of wet cotton, or don't wear cotton during the evening), use the bathroom before getting in your sleeping bag (wether you need to or not), and funny as it may sound sleep naked or near naked. There's countless other little tricks too. IMO, you can't beat winter camping. :)

Last time I was in Moab in October it was hot (mid 80's) in the desert sun, and the nights were gloriously cool. You cannot beat zero humidity and 40's to 50's at night with the rock slowly cooling underneath you at night.

Since you are in Flagstaff, think about conditions more like Sedona or even a bit lower elevation than that. Moab is around 2,500 ft on the canyon floor, the canyon rims are a couple thousand feet above that. I wouldn't worry about getting cold. I'm in Colorado Springs, and at about 7,000 ft. our climate is fairly identical to Flagstaff (you guys don't get quite as warm, but average lows are identical). Think early Fall and add 10 degrees and you'll have typical conditions, i.e., this is the perfect time of year for Moab. What you probably love about September in Flagstaff is what you'll love about Moab in October.

Nay

The weather In Moab can be tricky. I have been there in the fall and it's been in the upper 80's then the next year same time of year it was snowing. My guess is this year it will be in the mid to upper 70's and that's perfect for wheelin in Moab. Well actually any weather condition is perfect for wheelin in Moab, because you are out on the trail and not stuck at work.;)

Back