• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vanilla Gorrilla blog

Holy shaft batman! That's a substantial difference.

Anyone have good place to look for an oba system minus the pump. I already have the big smittybilt compressor. I was considering mounting it and creating my oba and air locker system around it.

However i came across this today.

https://www.amazon.com/ARB-CKSA12-Air-Locker-Accessories/dp/B004P919D4

Im thinking of just grabbing this and two arb solenoid/switch kits and call it done. It comes with everything needed. And would be done at less the $300. I would also carry my big pump for airing up. Then maybe down the line build a more elaborate system with a tank and bigger pump.

Any thoughts?

ARB is doing their annual buy a locker get a free compressor gig this whole month. I'm sure the forums/ebay will be flooded with compressors for cheap from people who bought a locker and already had a pump. That's how I got mine, brand new some guy sold it to me for $50...

I have all D44 set up tools - except case spreader = you still in PH call me if you need help
650-280-1531

saw a post @ 300 doubler - Mike had issues with popping out on decell after we went 4/1 and 35" in the 300 and so does Nick with his doubler (231/300 flip) - that's why Michael finally went Atlas, we had spent mas much on the 4/1 and upgrades to the 300 as he did on his new Atlas - lots of w/ups on 300 popping out of gear ( the shift fork is too long and made of flat steel, under decell it will flex and pops out

Hey bruce. Thanks for the offer man. I have everything but a case spreader.

I already have the doubler and this 300 was in tims big red before i bought it. Tim never had any issues with it popping out. We will see. If it pops i have a friend that is a machinist. Maybe he would be interested in making a billet shift fork that wont flex.

Last edited:
I made a case spreader out of 3/4" all thread and 3/16 3x3 angle iron once.... i am pretty sure it worked .

I think ill be good. I got a set of shim drivers. Really nice from Yukon. A set of 6 for $60 shipped. Made the install a breeze. Two runs for pinion depth and three for backlash and i ended up with this.

Drive
b89f4f2856a6deac1087cae997c7c508.jpg

Coast
558b0f398c8088c28cfe5106f4e92654.jpg

That was with .015 carrier preload and .005 backlash.
I used a crush sleeve eliminator and ended up at 25inch pounds on the pinion.

Looks good to go and im going to run it. Just need to pick up a pinion seal and slap some covers and plugs on the factory locker holes. Ill get it pained and and then i need to check steering tierod clearance with the rims im using and i can then order the last piece of steering and i should be good to go.

Still need to get the rear brake lines sorted and the ebrake cables as well as the oba and locker control. Should be on all fours this week.

Reno is getting close but i vowed not to be working on this thing the last week before. I should be on track to do it.

So you have a pinion depth tool, shim drivers , and a clamshell? What other cool stuff do you have again ?

So you have a pinion depth tool, shim drivers , and a clamshell? What other cool stuff do you have again ?

I have a full race driver kit. Also have a pinion yoke holder with 1/2" and 3/4" square adapters and a yoke removal attachment as well. And a press with a few gadgets on it. I really need to invest in some setup bearings and probably a case spreader to make it more efficient. All told i probably put about 4 hours into that setup and could do it in half the time if i had setup bearings. It would also have helped if i was just changing gears instead of starting with a bare housing. I had no starting point to speak of as far as shim sets are concerned. So it took a bit of time to take all those measurements first before i could run a pattern.

Last edited:
Just realized i have no hardware to bolt this axle together as it was a bare housing. So i ordered hub bolts and caliper bracket bolts and axle nuts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awesome work dude!

Tanks pat.

Ill be bolting this thing together Monday night and checking steering clearance. Then ordering the last piece, the tierod. Trying to fit the aluminum tierod from stinky fab. But I'm unsure of the fitment with the backspacing of my rims. If not ill be getting the bent currie one.

Compressor setup should be in this week. Should be rolling and breaking in gears next sat.

Dude i cant wait to see this thing up and runnimg Gordo!!

Well its been another week and my rig still has no front end in it.

Found out on final assembly that the machining on the inner shafts was wrong. On the taper up to the inner seal surface it was contacting the ID of the carrier. And not letting the shaft slide all the way in. New inners should be here tomorrow. I need to pickup two caliper bracket bolts and a pinion seal from the stealership and this thing is going in tomorrow. For now im mounting my oba setup and switches.

I still need to get my rear brakes sorted so that is for this weekend.

Right now im building a fridge slide and working on my rear storage/dog shelf and getting the stereo back together.

Need to order some arb air line. I thought i read somewhere that there is stuff at home depot you can use that is more durable. Any ideas?

Back