• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vanilla Gorrilla blog

Gordo, I need any help, advice I can get on Helicoiling. I to want to Helicoil a bolt holding my caliper.

I can see the logic there with the hand throttle. We will see. I feel since its my first go Id give it a go. It will be good during air up. My new air pump pulles almost 50 amps.

Tim i picked up a kit at oreillys. It came with the tap, a hand full of coils, and the coil insertion tool. All i needed was the drill bit. Find out the thread pitch and size of the bolt and many auto parts stores have helicoil kits.
This is the kit i used.
db31f3a9b724d8eb91f6766bc299d8e0.jpg

2bb967a2c4991b5baf45b7f8d97467b1.jpg

You can see on the back the instructions and the bit size needed for the kit. I used some red locktight on the incerted coil to semi lock it in place. I let the locktight cure before reinstalling the caliper. I also used a qtip to clean out any excess locktight after i incerted the coil So it would not interfere with the new bolt being installed.

I also used cutting oil on the tap. It was pretty straight forward. Whole process toock about two minutes. Then just waiting for the locktight to cure overnight.

dam you've been busy gordon! glad to see its mostly done for now.

Yeah. It been pretty nonstop.

Tonight i had to drop the tank again. Looks like the ring disnt fully seat and it was leaking pretty bad. I pumped about 15 gallons out of the tank and dropped it. Went through and used white grease on everything to make sure i got it all clamped down. We will see.

I also adjusted my shackle angle. Got my exhaust hangers finished. Changed the oil. Fixed the cruise control. Fully charged the battery. Washed my rims and new tires and loaded them into my van for drop off in the morning. Adjusted the ebrake. Broke the ebrake lever. Then fixed the ebrake lever. I think i chased down my drive line vibe. Im about 8 degrees off where my pinion should be. Ill be picking up some shims tomorrow. I also reinstalled my gas skid.

Tomorrow ill be installing leaf shims. Mounting new tires. Fixing my tire carrier. Reinstalling the front drive shaft. And shes ready to roll.

Sorry no pics. Too busy working.

I can't wait to see the gorilla in action again. Last I saw it you ripped have the grill off with a log.

And that's awesome she rocked the flute! When is the family band forming? Haha.

Went out this morning and put in the front drive shaft. And unloaded the tires. The mtr/ks are a good 1.5" taller than the kos. And a bit wider too. Mounted up the fronts. They look sick.

Picking up degree shims from 4wp in oakland today. Should have it done tonight.

Last edited:
Thanks bud. Im looking for 6* ones. They are aluminum from 4wp. Ill swap them for steel after the run. I am 9* off right now. Im hoping that as the pinion rises up a bit it will also change the angle of the driveshaft and should land perfectly within 1-2* low to account for wrap. Ill fine tune it when i put the traction bar on but this should get me close.

I can see the logic there with the hand throttle. We will see. I feel since its my first go Id give it a go. It will be good during air up. My new air pump pulles almost 50 amps.

Tim i picked up a kit at oreillys. It came with the tap, a hand full of coils, and the coil insertion tool. All i needed was the drill bit. Find out the thread pitch and size of the bolt and many auto parts stores have helicoil kits.
This is the kit i used.
db31f3a9b724d8eb91f6766bc299d8e0.jpg

2bb967a2c4991b5baf45b7f8d97467b1.jpg

You can see on the back the instructions and the bit size needed for the kit. I used some red locktight on the incerted coil to semi lock it in place. I let the locktight cure before reinstalling the caliper. I also used a qtip to clean out any excess locktight after i incerted the coil So it would not interfere with the new bolt being installed.

I also used cutting oil on the tap. It was pretty straight forward. Whole process toock about two minutes. Then just waiting for the locktight to cure overnight.

Thank you Gordo. i will pick one up after Reno and get the front caliper bolted down tight.

Driveline vibes are gone with the 6 degree shims. Big thanks to 4wdrive specialties. They were the only shop in the east bay to have steel shims and bolts. Packed up and on the road to reno

d3ea3eb9ee0fa148da25b4636776fd76.jpg

Yup had them for almost a year. Just mounted them up. With all the recent mods its like a completely different jeep. Feels planted and much more stable. I think most of it was leaf and shackle setup. The backend while feeling soft and flexy is very sure of itself.

Back