• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turbo Rubicon on Youtube

What he said ^^

And a 9000ish rpm honda motor with all of its technology compared to the 4.0 is a little more than apples to oranges haha.

Since when was I comparing apples to apples? Would you say an LS1 is an orange then? Where do you make the line? All I said is that "While the 4.0s head is pretty pathetic in terms of flow, this turbo is still WAY too small for the motor," which still holds true.

Your trying to change the subject to defend the motor for some reason. All I'm saying is that with the cylinder head being a major player in choosing a turbo, the super 60 is STILL a very small turbo for the 4.0L. I'll put this another way:

Motor A has a displacement of 2.0L with a high flowing head and high peak torque
Motor B has a displacement of 2.0L with a low flowing head and lower peak torque

Motor A should utilize a larger turbo to prevent it from becoming a restriction at higher RPM. However a smaller turbo might be better for motor B.

Hope that makes sense. I would never put a turbo smaller than a T3/T4 on any AMC 4.0L. I will personally be going with a Borg Warner 60 trim T3/T4 on my build.

Last edited:
Bryson said:
Motor A has a displacement of 2.0L with a high flowing head and high peak torque
Motor B has a displacement of 2.0L with a low flowing head and lower peak torque

Motor A should utilize a larger turbo to prevent it from becoming a restriction at higher RPM. However a smaller turbo might be better for motor B.

With that logic, wouldn't the 4.0 benefit more from a smaller turbo since it has a poor flowing head?:confused:

Read what I said...

"While the 4.0s head is pretty pathetic in terms of flow, this turbo is still WAY too small for the motor."

"That turbo is rated by Garrett for displacements of 1.6-3.0l, and power output of about 300hp. Keep in mind that the 4.0 has a power output that isn't that far off from this max rating, which means that the turbo is actually somewhat of a restriction during the RPM range"

For example, I'm going with a T3/T4 for my 4.0L turbo setup. However, if I had a 4.3L GM I'd go with at least a straight T4. The T3/T4 is actually "small" for 4.0L of displacement.

Back