• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turbo Rubicon on Youtube

Was it me or was his Air/Fuel meter not working? bottom gague in the column.

~Alex

alex22 said:
Was it me or was his Air/Fuel meter not working? bottom gague in the column.

~Alex
Yeah I noticed the double dashes too. Im sure that things pretty fast, but dont forget its a 4000 pound rubicon despite the impressive hp numbers (300 maybe?). I cant say thats much crazier than a decked out stroker xj.

Yeah, it does sound pretty ricey. He doesn't seem to want to let it rev either.

If you have ever ridden in a stock rubicon this thing was fast as hell comparitivly lol. They are S L O W even with the factory 4.10s. If its an automatic its even worse.

Only $2600 to get a 15 sec. wrangler. And it wheels just the same w/ worse mileage.

Seems like a real winner to me. :dunno:

Im pretty sure that kit in an XJ with a 5 speed would be pretty impressive. Sure is weird to hear that extra gear on the tj though...I wish I had a 6 speed.

BBeach said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0aBhenL51I&feature=related

Anyone ever see that before? Looks pretty cool but doesnt seem fast at all, maybe he just wasnt pushing it 100%.

It's not fast at all. Why? A couple reasons:

- The turbo is disturbingly small for a 4.0L. The 505 kit uses a Garrett super 60. That turbo is rated by Garrett for displacements of 1.6-3.0l, and power output of about 300hp. Keep in mind that the 4.0 has a power output that isn't that far off from this max rating, which means that the turbo is actually somewhat of a restriction during the RPM range. While the 4.0s head is pretty pathetic in terms of flow, this turbo is still WAY too small for the motor. This is why my remote mount kit will fit a small T3 all the way up to a large frame T4.

- Tuning. Who knows that the amount of timing and fuel it's running is correct for it's increased air flow. It needs to be properlly tuned on a dyno to be both safe and powerful.

Bryson said:
While the 4.0s head is pretty pathetic in terms of flow, this turbo is still WAY too small for the motor.

The 4.0 has one of the best designed stock ports of an iron cylinder head. Reference its flow vs the flow of just about anything else of the era (best castings were from 95-98). What would you consiter good flow for a 4.0 head?

~Alex

alex22 said:
The 4.0 has one of the best designed stock ports of an iron cylinder head. Reference its flow vs the flow of just about anything else of the era (best castings were from 95-98). What would you consiter good flow for a 4.0 head?

~Alex

Why do I say it doesn't flow well? Well for the fact that peak torque occurs off of idle shows me that intake velocity is at it's highest at low RPM and quickly chokes off up top.

Any other reason? Maybe for the fact that a Honda F20C 4cyl head flows nearly twice as much.

Show me a flow bench chart if you have one. ;)

I do have my own flow numbers on a jeep head, and will have flow numbers on a ported head soon (when I have time to port it). Peak torque occours off idle because it is designed that way, its a jeep that redlines at 5400. On the next flow test I plan on flowing the head to 1 inch of lift. Even though there is no way the engine will have that type of lift it will tell the tester a good amount about what will happen when the engine is running. 28 inches of water is an average. All ports will "choke off up top" because they reach their port potential (port flowed with no valve in place).
I was able to find these flow numbers on the F20C. Very impressive, but look at the picture of the cylinder head, you can see almost the entire intake valve from the mouth of the port, they are massive for the displacement of the engine. The engine probably has no torque down low and has to rev up to 6000+ to make its horsepower. That, allong with the 16 valve configuration is why the head flows so well.
It looks like we are comparing apples to oranges.

I should rephraise what I said in post #18.
For an iron cylider head with two valves per port the jeep head flows very well stock and there is enough meat on the port walls for improvement. I cut a 7120 head in sections and I was pleasently suprised how well the port and combustion chamber were designed. The engine was built for practicality, it needed a borad torque (this also depends heavily on the cam design) because its a Jeep. Built to go off roading as well as drive to work and soccer practice.

~Alex

EDIT: I forgot to make my links go places.....they do now.

Back