• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tow rig

Cr= you probably have enough money to be a snoody tj puss
Quad cab CR's can be had with 160-200k for 15k-17k now.. didnt know that made someone snoody?:laugh:

I think of snoody as $50k on a new truck every 2-4 years:confused1

Quad cab CR's can be had with 160-200k for 15k-17k now.. didnt know that made someone snoody?:laugh:

I think of snoody as $50k on a new truck every 2-4 years:confused1

why buy a CR tho....they cost sooooooo much more to make reliable power

CR=Common Rail. 3rd Gen Cummins engines use injectors that don't pop based on pressure in the individual injector line, they're controlled by an electric pulse, similar to a 4.0l gas injector. All of the injectors share a single pressurized fuel rail, hence the moniker Common Rail. 2nd Gen and earlier engines pressurize each line individually, depending on pressure to open the injector.

There are a few benefits to the CR method. It's possible to change the fuel map by reprogramming the PCM, rather than having to fiddle with the injection pump. What's probably a bigger benefit is that you can run multiple injector events per stroke. Cummins is doing this for greater power, emissions control, and noise control. IIRC, 3rd Gen CR engines run 3 injections per cycle.

why buy a CR tho....they cost sooooooo much more to make reliable power
I would take a few of the "Oooo"s out of that, the tow rig i use,(my brothers truck, but he is on deployment) is an 03 QCSB,BD twins, Edge juice w/attitude (&HOT code) FASS pump, BD intercooler, and a mildly built trans, the truck has been pushing over 600hp without a single problem..

The Edge system is the most unreliable part of the truck.. constantly has EGT errors etc, But it's not my truck so i live with it..

The truck maintains 16mpg Towing a 15ft lowboy and my ZJ, 4 people and 1000lbs worth of gear in the bed.

It's a big change in diesel injection. Rather than using a positive displacement pump that can depend on the injector opening at the far end of each line, a CR pump has to maintain pressure (upwards of 20,000 psi) in the rail with the ability to add fuel as it's drawn off by the individual injectors, as well as not be a positive displacement any more.

Keep you eyes out for an OBS (old body style) Ford F-350 with the 7.3 you can find 4 doors duallys for reasonable prices. I grabbed my 97 F250 ext cab 7.3 powerstroke 110k new trans in good shape for $3800, Deals are there just keep looking

I would take a few of the "Oooo"s out of that, the tow rig i use,(my brothers truck, but he is on deployment) is an 03 QCSB,BD twins, Edge juice w/attitude (&HOT code) FASS pump, BD intercooler, and a mildly built trans, the truck has been pushing over 600hp without a single problem..

The Edge system is the most unreliable part of the truck.. constantly has EGT errors etc, But it's not my truck so i live with it..

The truck maintains 16mpg Towing a 15ft lowboy and my ZJ, 4 people and 1000lbs worth of gear in the bed.

Yup but I probably have less in my truck trailer and mods than he does just buying the truck :) this is a cheer forum not land cruiser lol we roll on a budget round here

Looking at an '06-'08 Dodge Ram 1500 or 2500 5.7 Hemi MDS as a DD/tow rig....opinions? Can't go older than that and as much as I'd like a diesel tow rig, that would not be viable as a DD for me. Would it have enough guts to trailer an XJ safely?

2500 would do it 1500 would do it just a little more strain get the 2500

In doing more research is seems the 2500 Hemi's don't come with the MDS which is a killer for the DD aspect. Looks like 1500 has IFS vs. 2500 w/ SFA. Considering I will be towing the Jeep once every 2 months at the very best, I am leaning towards the 1500. Anyone with experience towing with one?

Back