• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Yeti

I just invited some friends over and threw some burgers on the grill while they did most of the work. Took a day to get most of the heavy work done. :)

I just invited some friends over and threw some burgers on the grill while they did most of the work.

:doh: Is THAT how ya do it?

:laugh:

I just invited some friends over and threw some burgers on the grill while they did most of the work. Took a day to get most of the heavy work done. :)

:doh: Is THAT how ya do it?

:laugh:
Nope, you "fix" the grill and put the "warm" beer in the fridge while everyone else works on the Jeep.

Made some good progress today. Offhand I think I am getting about 7" from the rear, 3.5" RE packs and 1" BDS shackle.

i.php

20170520202032-95952b6b-xl.jpg

20170520202044-72aa2449-xl.jpg

20170520202947-7a192754-xl.jpg

Think the old tie rod was a bit bent...the replacement JKS piece that came is about 1.5" longer than what came off. Scratching my head on that one.

20170520202504-d097f4f4-xl.jpg

Here was the show stopper for today. Even with the correct flare nut wrench, rounded both front lines. I guess I am going to have to buy new hard lines at this point.

20170520202040-35b8340d-xl.jpg

20170520202036-3a24d7b0-xl.jpg

The biggest problem is when the steel brake line rusts to the fitting. If you're just rounding corners you can try a bit harder. :D

Vice grips man, just use vice grips. Unbolt the rubber line from the frame. Use vice grips on the fitting to hold it and use another pair in the the rubber hose part to turn it.

Stupid Post Edit Time Limit!!

Worst case scenario you can just cut the hard line behind the fitting and put new ends on it. Your braided lines should be long enough to absorb some that difference in length on the hard line.

Yep vice grips are the only thing that works for me.

Before I try to turn those brake line nuts, I've learned to give the side of that fitting they screw into a good couple of smacks with a hammer. Works every time since then, hadn't rounded one since I learned that trick.

You can also try tightening it before loosening it. A torch or professional flare nut/line wrenches can help too. MAPP gas aught to work if you don't have access to oxy/acetylene.

Last edited:
When you win the Northern Director position you won't have that problem anymore ;-)

Shut your mouth, its the Russians I tell you. THE RUSSIANS!!!

That was my second thought, though I do not have a flaring tool, probably the best fix.

You can rent one from most parts stores. Otherwise if you make the drive I have one you can borrow.

Before I try to turn those brake line nuts, I've learned to give the side of that fitting they screw into a good couple of smacks with a hammer. Works every time since then, hadn't rounded one since I learned that trick.

That's a good trick as well.

That was my second thought, though I do not have a flaring tool, probably the best fix.
I have a double flare set. It might be older than you, but it has not failed me yet...

Shut your mouth, its the Russians I tell you. THE RUSSIANS!!!
Let me guess, you are the individual who voted for "Abstain."

Thanks guys, I ended up ordering a flare set and some new line and fittings as the rear axle is in similar condition. I attempted to assemble the front shafts and joints today and it fought me every step of the way. I am going to drop them at 4WP this week and have them do it. Tired of messing with this thing, I just need to get it buttoned up at this point.

Back