• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread

Yeah, its a good time. let me know if you have room. I've been trying to find a shitty boat/jetski or anythin that floats with a motor to fish off of.

I used 1" for d ring tabs too. Mine are rosette welded to the brackets, beveled to shit and welded to the brackets, also welded to the bumper stock itself, and through bolted. 7" long and I really wish that was 8 or 9 inches (haven't we all...)

And now I have all the subflooring for the first room upstairs done. Time to start measuring for walls and the ceiling.

Sam I hope 16oz cans are ok. They don't have bottles of summer here it seems.

Its like 8 bucks a sixpack at the place 3 blocks from my house, how much you want if you can't get it locally?

i think i found a fairly reliable supply. get me as much as ya want. itll all go to good use. and it only comes in cans

as for d ring tabs. harbor freight sells these hitch thingys with 2 8 inch long pieces of 1" thick plate already with holes drilled in em for like 12 bucks.

as for d ring tabs. harbor freight sells these hitch thingys with 2 8 inch long pieces of 1" thick plate already with holes drilled in em for like 12 bucks.

I like this idea. I've been trying my hardest to not go to the harbor freight down the road, but I'm getting paid for doing that miata today. I can swing 12 bucks.

Is it just me you and anthony on thursday?

butt buddies for life?
I'll be there to third wheel this shit

Time for me to ask another dumb question, especially since Colin is viewing this thread...

I know the AMC 360 and Chrysler 360 have different bellhousing and mount dimensions, but how far off are they? The bellhousing differences are gonna take some work but I am curious how much it'll take to adapt some motor mounts between the two. I'm thinking quarter inch plate will solve my problems, but not sure.

The reason being that if the 360 in that J20 ends up not being rebuildable, I'd kinda like to drop in a Chrysler 360 since I can get them for $140 to $200 depending on accessories/mood of cashier at the you-pull.

I've never really dealt with an AMC 360, but they were not based on anything Chrysler so I doubt they'll line up. Pretty sure the TF727 used behind those had the AMC bellhousing dimensions.

Now here's some stuff for you Ken.

I need to buy some wiring stuff now to build a bare minimum harness for NACfest (basically starter, fans, ignition, and MS stuff).

So I'm thinking 12ga to feed power/ground to the accessories (fans, ignition, MS) and 16ga for signal power/ground with anything using a relay. I already have 0/1 welding cable for the main grounds, and power feed for the alternator, starter, winch, and PDC (feeds all relays/fuses).

I don't think I want to solder stuff in this application. And I'm not sure if wire loom is a good idea either, as they tend to gather mud and shit in them (I remember my old XJ harness had that issue).

So I think I'll use this stuff.

- Butt connectors (adhesive lined heat shrink, I also plan to get some ring terminals the same style)

- Wiring

- Crimping tool (I have a shitty one right now)

And I'm not sure if I want to grab a 12Vguy switch panel, or just build my own. I like the fact he handles all the annoying shit for you (switch placement, leads, labeling, etc.) but at the same time I'm not sure it's worth it. I know I want to add in-cab winch controls, horns, lights, etc. in the near future (aka right after NACfest) so I would have him add those all in.

So...thoughts?

Thoughts, in random order.

Ken, I have the AMC bellhousing pattern blueprinted in several ways. I also have the Ford smallblock pattern, the Chevy smallblock pattern, and the Ford 3.0 Vulcan, not that that's all that important. Motor mounts are a different story but I can give you my info on bellhousing/crank adaptation if you need it.

12Vguy stuff is nice but I'm never gonna use it. My harness is gonna be significantly more complicated than yours as I'll be running 6 injector wires and 6 coil wires in addition to all the engine control stuff, and at that point it's probably worth it to me to just buy the DYIAutoTune harness and cut it to length. I'd suggest the same for your application. The wires come preconnected to the plug, color coded, and labeled as to what they do. If I did it myself I have two options...I'd either scavenge multicolored wires out of the various harnesses I've accumulated, and build the D-sub connector myself, and be stuck with troubleshooting it if anything goes wrong. But having uniquely colored wires connected to the proper plug and labeled "INJ1" "INJ2" "IAC" "TPS" etc and matched to the MS pinout seems really appealing to me right now.

I have part numbers for all the switches and stuff I used wiring my remote winch panel from McMaster, it's easy and pretty economical.

I'm gonna use wire loom anyway...what's your alternative, ribbon cable or a rat's nest?

Time for me to ask another dumb question, especially since Colin is viewing this thread...

I know the AMC 360 and Chrysler 360 have different bellhousing and mount dimensions, but how far off are they? The bellhousing differences are gonna take some work but I am curious how much it'll take to adapt some motor mounts between the two. I'm thinking quarter inch plate will solve my problems, but not sure.

The reason being that if the 360 in that J20 ends up not being rebuildable, I'd kinda like to drop in a Chrysler 360 since I can get them for $140 to $200 depending on accessories/mood of cashier at the you-pull.
to be honest drop the 360/nv4500 you got into the j20

smart peaple, whats stronger 1.5x1.5x.125 box tube or 1.5x.125 hrew round tube? is it a major diff?

That all looks good. If you need a hand with it to make things go faster let me know.

I would personally use this wire - it's the kind OEMs use with the nifty super soft flexy insulation that still resists damn near anything, instead of the more stiff marine style insulation. Either one should work, it's more of a personal preference thing I guess.

I'd do a custom panel - you can get everything exactly where you want.

I know the mounts are all different, just wondering about size/packaging more than anything - will need to make custom mounts and probably switch transmissions or bellhousings, unfortunately. I'm checking into bellhousing patterns now.

Thoughts, in random order.

Ken, I have the AMC bellhousing pattern blueprinted in several ways. I also have the Ford smallblock pattern, the Chevy smallblock pattern, and the Ford 3.0 Vulcan, not that that's all that important. Motor mounts are a different story but I can give you my info on bellhousing/crank adaptation if you need it.

12Vguy stuff is nice but I'm never gonna use it. My harness is gonna be significantly more complicated than yours as I'll be running 6 injector wires and 6 coil wires in addition to all the engine control stuff, and at that point it's probably worth it to me to just buy the DYIAutoTune harness and cut it to length. I'd suggest the same for your application. The wires come preconnected to the plug, color coded, and labeled as to what they do. If I did it myself I have two options...I'd either scavenge multicolored wires out of the various harnesses I've accumulated, and build the D-sub connector myself, and be stuck with troubleshooting it if anything goes wrong. But having uniquely colored wires connected to the proper plug and labeled "INJ1" "INJ2" "IAC" "TPS" etc and matched to the MS pinout seems really appealing to me right now.

I have part numbers for all the switches and stuff I used wiring my remote winch panel from McMaster, it's easy and pretty economical.

I'm gonna use wire loom anyway...what's your alternative, ribbon cable or a rat's nest?

I have the MS harness. That takes care of the fuel injection, but nothing else. Like starter, fans, horn, headlights, etc. How do you plan on handling those? That's all I'm talking about. Not duplicating the MS harness. I'm also not using it to control ignition right now, so I have to handle that separately as well.

The 12V guy stuff is just convenient and a nice product. I'd want a removable winch panel anyway for repairing/replacing/adding things so it fits the bill. If you price out quality switches, it seems like it wouldn't be that far off.

Yeah I have a bunch of wire loom so I can still use it. They had some bulk down at Carlisle last year so I bought a bunch of it cheap.

Back