• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock-ish Wheels for my XJ

I've had two sets of stock wheels on my '98.

Here's the original steelies that I painted black:

DSCF1056.jpg

And the honeycombs that I run now with my DD tires. Snagged these from a '95 (I think) Country that was getting lift/wheels/tires back when I worked at 4WP. :shhh:

DSC_0800.jpg

The ravines posted above are my favorite. I bought a set of rubicons, but gave them to my son.

I settled on the canyons. Got eight (six were clean) for $200.00. Cheaper than the soft eights.
Jeep156.jpg

To me the soft 8's scream cheap(and not a good cheap, more like a I'm a person who cannot afford basic maintenance and wants different wheels mullet cheap).
ah, I'm feeling a new quote in my signature. :)

It floors me sometimes that people take off good looking stock alloy wheels and replace them with aftermarket stuff. I have three sets of Moabs I got for free over the past few years that people replaced with steelies. I even have a set of Silverstars just sitting next to the garage. Now, I get it if you have to replace due to backspacing problems or just to freshen up the look. But I think a lot of people just buy into the hype... and would be happier if the money was spent on something else.
And before somebody gets all butthurt I actually have a Jeep with Soft 8's on them. :)
But to me now days it seems like its the Jeep guys equivelant to the ricer 6" muffler tip......

my .02

Last edited:
I never did like soft 8s. However they do have two advantages over a stock aluminum rim: 1) available in different backspacing than stock, and 2) if you bash a steel rim you can always beat it back into some what shape, where an aluminum rim would just crack. Thats about it.. and #1 can be solved with wheel spacers on the stock rims.

I'm still torn whether I should buy a set of 4 icon wheels. I have lame cragar chrome wheels right now and I hate them. But I do think black wheels would look sick on my XJ.

Back