• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does This PDC Belong In An XJ?

DirtySouthXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

Does this style PDC belong in a 1996 XJ 4.0, or any XJ for that matter?

^ This is the style PDC (not mine in the pic, but same layout) that is in my 96 XJ 4.0 but it does not match what is described in the owners manual and seems to be different than what I've seen in other's pics and videos. Instead of having one power "hot" post (for the main power cable/s to power PDC) it also has what appears to be a dummy post (insulated) with a soft fusible link between the two. In other words; battery cable to dummy (insulated) post, fusible link to "hot" post, alternator to "hot" post. The PO said the engine was replaced/swapped but I have no idea from what model, what year or what all else would have been replaced/sawapped too (PDC?).

Thank you!

It's definitely a '96 PDC, but since they are a bastard year it's not surprising that the FSM would have conflicting inform!tion.

That looks pretty much just like the PDC in my '96.

As to that fusible link, there are a number of us who have tried to put that end of the PDC to work in that fashion. Here is a thread on that subject: In post #12 you can see my version of a solution

Awesome, thank you! I just did something similar with a DIY "big 7" cable upgrade but I placed a ANL fuse inline with the ALT + and have the ALT + (after fuse) and battery + connected to the one "hot" post on the PDC (leaving the dummy (insulated) post unused.

It's definitely a '96 PDC, but since they are a bastard year it's not surprising that the FSM would have conflicting inform!tion.

Thank you! That makes sense. Trying to figure what all is going on with this XJ, I'm starting to wonder if the PO just gave up on it (various starting, charging, shifting problems). I'm working my way through everything now, fixing wiring etc.

Back