• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snap On vs ...

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
I have a bunch of Snap On stuff from about 15 years ago when I started turning wrenches on German cars. Craftsman sockets that would come off and bust my knuckles convinced me to switch.. to Snap On which my pro mechanic buddies were using. The 27mm crank pulley from Snap On would stay on the end of the crank from here to Kansas... Back then a lot of the cheap stuff was poor quality. I have a couple of S-K long extensions but replaced them with Snap On because the steel seems superior. Today times have changed and there is much better stuff coming out of Taiwan... I have never found a comparable to Snap On knurled extension or ratchets, because the ones I bought used years ago still haven't failed. I've broken every Craftsman ratchet I've ever owned (without using cheater bars on any of them). I've found that Stahlwille hex bit sockets are the best. They don't twist, and aren't "too long" for most applications such as fill/drain plugs like comparable Snap On/Proto. I am wondering if anyone who is interested in "good tools" has found a suitable substitute for Snap On for sockets, etc.

IIRC, Cal is a fan of the Sunex (sp?) sockets, they can be had on amazon for a reasonable price. I ahve yet to use them, but they seem quite good. I think there is some kind of "what sockets/tools to buy" thread where he mentioned it.

It alarms me how often I click on a thread thinking "oh this could be interesting".. only to find that someone else has already shared my opinion for me on the first page. ;)

And yes, the Sunex stuff is pretty incredible. I use them with ebay (inexpensive) snap on 80 tooth ratchets and gearwrench long form wrenches.

One of the things I like about sunex is you can get kits that are very complete (I have every size in metric from 4mm to 19mm in 1/4, 4.5mm to 21mm in 3/8, and 6mm to 40mm in 1/2, in both deep and shallow, for example).

Also I can easily (amazon) buy single replacement sockets for a few bucks each as I lose or damage them. I've never broken one, but I've lost a few, gotten epoxy or dicor on them and found spending $7 is easier than spending an hour cleaning the tool.

Mark Wolfe is the one who got me looking at all of those tools, on another thread here somewhere, after I lost most of my tools at the hammers a couple years ago.

Can read a little about that here:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=246112535&postcount=1322

Current tool drawer:

IMG_20150615_180905642_zpspnpzdlnv.jpg

IMG_20150615_181015171_zpstwqkn7cp.jpg

I've started a second box recreating the same socket sets but all in 12 point, you know, because OCD. Also picked up the entire wrench set again in ratcheting and stubby, and recently have started in on a full spread of torque wrenches.

Thanks Cal. I think the Sunex are an excellent value considering how little they cost. How many times do you use a 6mm 1/2" drive impact socket? ;-) I bought one or two Snap On impacts and find they clunk around a bit less on the fastener and are thicker than the Sunex. Either will take a bolt out. How do you like those Gear Wrench wrenches and how do they compare to Snap On? I have this thing against China and Asian imports in general. Its expensive, but I try to support Made in U.S.A. for tools. Chinese commodity steel can be of such poor quality, though I think the stuff out of Taiwan is far better. Do you use the 3/8" impacts often? Everything I own is old school and I've never seriously thought about owning 3/8" impacts.

A lot of the snap on stuff is China now too, if you look, the 'usa' stamp is gone from the new stuff.

I work primarily in 3/8 under the engine bay, 1/2 under the suspension and 1/4 in the interior.

I have a set of snap on wrenches from the 70's (dads) and I think I like the gear wrench better. They are longer (i know snap on sells them long as well, but not what I have), arent as thin so are a little easier on my hands, and they seem to flex a little bit less when I'm using them as a pry bar.

I'm sure that if i went shopping for new snap on wrenches I'd find something I like more than the gearwrench, but not in the price range.

I have this set:

http://www.tooltopia.com/gearwrench-81917.aspx

and this set:

http://www.tooltopia.com/gearwrench-81916p.aspx

Which includes all the stubbies.

Impacts in lieu of chrome in 3/8 drive? Snap On wrenches, sockets, and air tools are still made in U.S.A. according to their catalog which lists COO. I believe most are made in Snap On plants in Elizabethton, TN and Murphy, NC. Speciality stuff may be imported as well as a primarily plastic parts like socket holders. I think to stay with Made in U.S.A. choices are Snap On, Wright, Proto, or JH Williams USA. I'm a bit stuck in the past since I've had such good luck with their stuff and still find its at least somewhat better. But I no longer think its worth a king's ransom. Since your tools were stolen outside your home did you have any resource from insurance?

He said lost, not stolen. So, not sure what exactly it means.

I found those 2 43 piece 1/2" drive sunex sets on Amazon. 187 for sae and 144$ for metric. After the rebates I will have paid 130$ for the two sets. They seem very complete. I am going to replace all my best to hell impacts and fill in the gaps with sizes .100$ rebate per set is amazing

these tool threads are great. I ordered a Snap on f80 3/8 ratchet and a 1/2" drive , used on ebay, the 3/8" came in and looks brand new.

Good deal, about the only time I think an 80 tooth would help on an XJ would be turning the crank pulley while the e-fan/fan shroud are still in place. I bought used Snap On 3/8" and 1/2" off eBay 15 years ago. Not sure how old they were when I bought them, but they are probably 30-36 tooth max, and they've never skipped a beat. 80 tooth didn't exist back then and I haven't traded in/upgraded. I bought some Snap On impacts and the steel or fit or both must be different, because they generally fit better than Sunex and don't make such a hollow clank on the nut heads. However, the cost is about 10-15X higher.

Thanks for the tip on Sunex, got the 3/8" master set and 1/2" metric set with $125 of rebates. Been real happy with them so far.

Amazon has a lightning deal on the 3/8" master set going on for the next 2-1/2 hours, $56 which is almost the same as the previous price with rebate. They've had other Sunex stuff pop up on lightning deals lately also.

Yup. I keep watching for the wobble socket sets to show up on a deal, but hasn't happened yet. I've slowed down on the collecting as i'm out of space in the toolbox and don't have room for another one. ;)

I've been eyeballing this Grey Pneumatic 3/8 Master set for a while. It looks to be stupid complete (including wobble sockets), and the lid detaches so you can use the tray portion in your drawer to hold everything, and then quickly reattach if you need to take them out for a night on the town. I've never used Grey Pneumatic myself, but several on the Faceplace tool pages say they are top notch.

Biggest advantage of Sunex over GP is that Sunex have the sizes both laser etched and surface applied to the sockets whereas the GP just have the surface coating. Over time the coating wears off and you no longer know what size your sockets are.

also can you get the GP stuff individual easily, to replace lost sockets?

Yup. I keep watching for the wobble socket sets to show up on a deal, but hasn't happened yet. I've slowed down on the collecting as i'm out of space in the toolbox and don't have room for another one. ;)

Is there a master set for the wobble sockets?

I've got a variation of Crapsman, Kobalt, and HF stuff.

In reality, I'll probably start just going soley to HF stuff.

Why? The quality and QC has surpassed Crapsman, they're very local to me, and their return policy blows most others out of the water.

Are they going to be a HIGH end tool like snap on used to be, or others out there?

No.

Are they going to be fine for me who wrenches a LOT but doesn't need not use them as my sole source of income? Yup.

Hell, HF now had socket wrenches with the finer tooth gears.

Yes some of their stuff is absolute crap, but their Pittsburgh line has done very very well for me, and it's a 100% lifetime guarantee.

I think in reality that gone are the days of owning a nice, very long lasting tool set that the average joe could afford (i.e. old school Craftsman).

I'm going to be nabbing one of their 301 piece tools sets for the truck. Everywhere I've looked people have been raving how much they love the set (to the point of buying several).

Back