• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rust Sucks...

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
Tell me what you think, is my Jeep worth keeping or should I look for another car, most likely a pickup ?

This all happened over winter, amazing.

100_3290.jpg

100_3291.jpg

100_3292.jpg

passenger side, right above the 1/4 panel bumper piece.

100_3293.jpg

I am the oddball child.
100_3295.jpg

Thats that nasty shit you use on the roads up there, another winter an you will have a flintstone mobile that you can use your feet to move with. It gets in the air too, I remember seeing all the armour we left at Ft Drum one year and the sheer volume of rust on the tracks and bogie wheels. We had them in NJ for 8 years, drove them around Ft Dix in the sand and they never got that rusty till we shipped them to drum for summer training at the end of October.
I looked at a TJ back about 5 years ago, it was a 98, 4 years old and looked pristine up top, underneath was a different story, I've seen better frames on farmers abandoned pickups out in the north forty for 30 years than that TJ that came out of syacuse.

shit man that is pretty nasty rust ya got there...

im lucky and who ever had my xj befor me got everything blasted with undercoating and theres no rust like that...

sand weld in new parts that are fucked up and por-15 then bed-line..

rust REALLY hurts resale value

ya some cars instantly rust here.. others dont.. my friends 04 merc has rust in the front corners of the wheel wells :nono:

500 dollar fix

they use salt and liquid deicer here in b.c., Its bad stuff, Still better here than in Ontario, We cringe when something rolls in with Ont plates, Every second nut or bolt shears off, Any exposed aluminum parts are covered in corrosion fuzz, looks like crap if the engine is all alum.

Word.

My XJ came from Vancouver and was virtually rust-free. I immediately had it sprayed with oil undercoating and so far, so good.

Most Ontario Jeeps are pretty rotten thanks to the 6 month salt bath they receive every year. NY likely uses similar stuff.

Last edited:
some people take action against rust, See alot of rustcheck stickers and rust free vehicles, but they all have there door weatherstripping hanging, and any exposed rubber swelled. Just did a girls car, all four doors, front hood seal, rear hatch ( $750 labor in, still cheaper than trying to repair rust)

check with a good bodyshop many places have rust repair panels available rather than full panels.

NY sucks for rust. My mom moved back to NY with her 92 Lumina, AZ car. Next year went to see her, it looked like all the other 92 Luminas on the road there. We bought a brand new Geo Tracker (94, my beloved first vehicle) in Rochester NY, spent one winter there and moved to AZ. The thing was undercoated and treated with Ziebart's rust-proofing. AZ mechanics saw the underbody and always said we needed all kinds of new stuff. We were just like, "What, never seen a little rust?" :D

I was concerned about that when I bought mine. It's original title was in NY. Somehow it made it down here without any damage. The guy at the dealership thought I was crazy for crawling up under it on the lot just to look for any problems. Still looking good today. Maybe I got lucky.

Hmm, maybe I'll keep my eye out for a southern cherokee, or just get a pickup. I don't feel this jeep is worth the body work + paint. I could always keep this one as my beater, and get a nicer one that gets put away for the winter.

took mine 20 years for the floor to finally fall off this year. I put him on a dnr...now I have to find another xj that is worth a sh*t in IL.

checking in from Ontario, born and bred XJ here, floors are nearly gone under my feet, carpet is loading bearing as it is, let alone another winter. 97 and will need floor pan replaced as soon as I can get a DD and take this off the road for a while.
Salt and sand makes for a super rust developer, I had about 10lbs of dirt in each rocker when I cut them out.

camarors8992 said:
Hmm, maybe I'll keep my eye out for a southern cherokee, or just get a pickup. I don't feel this jeep is worth the body work + paint. I could always keep this one as my beater, and get a nicer one that gets put away for the winter.

I thought two cars was required in NY, a nice summer car and one for the other 9 months of the year...

We had an 86 S10 and a 79 Peugeot 504D. The S10 almost lost its bed when the brackets rusted away, the Peugeot had a bubble here and there. Both were long time NY cars, both were driven year round...That S10 just got eaten by the rust though. 72 Fleetwood fared better than the S10, not as good as the Peugeot. That little Peugeot was a good car. Sturdy, diesel, reliable, good-looking, and different.
Here's a 2 door version from the same time period and a 75ish 4 dr. Ours was a nice deep metallic blue
5045jx.jpg
peug504-75.jpg

Last edited:
Thats not rust............

You know you got rust when you can see all 4 wheels from inside the vehicle like my old 93

What you got there is easily fixable.......

Use it as a learning experience..........I know I did

IMG_00642.jpg

Last edited:
LOL, Ya'll asked for it. My previous cherokee....

100_1580.jpg

100_1401.jpg

100_1403.jpg

What I was wondering, is if it's still worth keeping, or should I find a new southern Jeep.

Back