• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Rock Moving

Okay,

Lets get this back on track.

We still need trailers.

Dinner will be provided.

Were camping as a group up Balckwood Canyon.

E-mail me [email protected] and let me know.

Doug

Directions/Instructions:

Get yourself to Lake Tahoe, then from South Tahoe go north on 89, from Tahoe City go south on 89, then:

Four miles south of Tahoe City or 3.5 miles north of the regular Rubicon turn off (McKinney Road) is Blackwood Canyon. The Kaspian campground is right there at highway 89.

Our campground is three miles off highway 89. 2 1/2 miles paved and 1/2 mile dirt. At the 2 1/2 mile mark the paved road curves left, the dirt road goes straight. Stay straight on the dirt road. Camp is 1/2 mile in.

If it weren't for one water hole the RV's would make it to camp but I'm not recommending them. If you don't mind being 1/2 mile away from eveyone else you could probably park on the side of the paved road but I'm not sure of the legality.

I tried to reserve the whole campground for us but the Forest Service doesn't do reservations for that campground. First come, first serve.

The site has pit toilets, picnic benches, steel fire pits and bear boxes. Please make sure to keep a clean camp!

Bring gloves, sunscreen, bug spray, water, lunch for Saturday, sleeping gear, safety glasses, hat, snacks, trailers, good attitude,

The important thing is to have fun.

Doug

We're getting closer.

I've only got seven confirmed trailers and three flat bed Toys for moving rock.

We need more trailers.

Last minute help is welcome.

Doug

My plan is to go, but I still need to get new (used-better) tires and wheels, service the bearings, and fix the lights this weekend, so I'm hesitant to commit at this point, but I'm trying :)

Doug,

Feel bad about not making it, so I sent my off-road trailer up with Randii.

It's on 33's, 48"x48" box.

Hope it comes in handy.

Crash,

None of us can make them all. Show up when you can. Thanks for loaning the trailer. We will put it to good use.

Doug

Thanks to anyone that helps on this one, I was up there last weekend with a few friends and that mud hole covers 35" tires

The hard to spot rock about 3 to 4 feet infront of the drivers side front tire in this shot made it hard to get thrue, I hate mud!

CON_0599.jpg

Wish I could make it, thanks to everyone that goes and helps out.

Have those of you with trailers that can't make it found people to haul them up?

I'd hate to see a trailer left at home.

It's going to be cold. Bring warm clothes and a warm sleeping bag.

Sign-in Saturday morning. There will be a sign-in list and a Placer County waiver, sign both. Also, pick a crew.

I know that some people have already indicated they would like to work on certian crews: comms, medical, chow, etc. Sign-in on the crew list you'd like to work on or have already committed to. Sign in as a group (list all names) to work with friends.

The briefing is set for 8:30am weather pending. I realize the cold will keep people from getting up early.

We have a great turnout of traulers. I'd like to ask three of four trailers owners, with really well built trailers, step up to haul boulders. The County delivered boulders and I'd like to move as many as we can. We'll have big rig chains to help the front loader carefully load the boulders.

Directions/Instructions:

Get yourself to Lake Tahoe, then from South Tahoe go north on 89, from Tahoe City go south on 89, then:

Four miles south of Tahoe City or 3.5 miles north of the regular Rubicon turn off (McKinney Road) is Blackwood Canyon. The Kaspian campground is right there at highway 89.

Our campground is three miles off highway 89. 2 1/2 miles paved and 1/2 mile dirt. At the 2 1/2 mile mark the paved road curves left, the dirt road goes straight. Stay straight on the dirt road. Camp is 1/2 mile in.

The site has pit toilets, picnic benches, steel fire pits and bear boxes. Please make sure to keep a clean camp!

Bring gloves, sunscreen, bug spray, water, lunch for Saturday, sleeping gear, safety glasses, hat, snacks, trailers, good attitude,

The important thing is to have fun AND STAY WARM!

Doug

I just wanted to take the time to thank everyone involved in this weekends Rock Moving Project.

We had more than 40 people involved, ten or more trailers and moved probably 40 yards of rock.

The four foot deep hole hole was only 12 inches deep last fall after the Hi-Lo's drained it. It was 18+ inches Memorial Weekend. Saturday morning it was again more than 40 inches deep in at least one spot.

After the rock was moved, the hole was no more than 6 inches deep the entire way and will never get deeper because it's lined with rock!

Awsome job volunteers. I am proud to work with such a great group of workers.

Special thanks to Don from the North Tahoe Trail Dusters for bringing in his personal front loader. I'm sure he prevented many sore backs.

That's awesome!:party:

Way to step up and represent the off-roading community in a positive light.

Any pictures?

Not that I will be running the Rubicon anytime soon again, but thank you for all the effort to maintain the trail and keep it open. Running the Rubicon was the highlight of my 3 years in California and something my family and I will never forget.

John

Back