• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Rock Moving

Simple Man

NAXJA Member #979
Hello everyone,

I finally got around to calling the key player in this operation, the front load operator, and we've decided on June 9/10 2007 for this project.

This project is important for many reasons. This hole was hood deep for most rigs during the wet months last year. This is the spot that was photographed and sent to Lahonton Water Authority with a request to seasonally close the trail. This spot also had a bypass that cause further erosion and evidence that other bypasses had been tried. We need to fill this hole and put this section of the trail behind us.

For those of you unfamiliar with this hole, it is about one mile west of the intersection of the Rubicon trail and Barker Pass Road. Just west of a section I know as Potato Patch. It is just east of the area I've heard described as Helicopter Flat, an area tha opens out of the trees to a somewhat flat granite area.

This will be a trailer project. The more trailers the faster the project goes. I'm hoping for 15-20 trailers. The trailers will be loaded by the use of a front loader with a one or half yard bucket. Great care will be taken while loading trailers. You will be in charge of deciding how and how much rock gets loaded in your trailer. Unloading will most likely be done by unhooking the trailer and lifting the tounge. In theory, there should be minimal hand moving of rock.

We are working on providing dinner at the Blackwood Canyon Campground Saturday night. Sunday should be an easy day of wrapping up of loose ends and enjoying the fruits of our labor.

Attached is an outline of the project. I'm looking for a few people to step up and fill in the available lead positions: Medical (2), Sign-in, Campground, Chow Team, Communications, Safety Officers (2).

Please post up if you have any questions.

Rock & Roll Party
June 9/10, 2007, Rubicon Trail
Blackwood Canyon, Lake Tahoe

Goal: Prevent further water retention and erosion at THE mud hole

Objectives: Clear drain, Place rocks in hole
Fill holes along trail to the mud hole as needed

Elements: Front loader at rocks to load trailers
Rocks to mud hole a half yard at a time
Camping at Blackwood Canyon campground
Dinner hosted (still need to confirm)

Plans: Decide where to place boulders
Bottom of hole
Small holes along the trail
Play area along trail at split in trail
Increase and/or cover dirt at Potato Patch
Edge of trail as needed

Logistics: 100 yards of rock one mile from intersection
Two miles of total distance rocks need to move

50 cubic yards of Grapefruit size
50 cubic yards of small boulders
45 - 60 trips
12 – 15 trailers and vehicles to tow them
3 – 5 trips per rig
1 – 1.5 hours round trip
3 – 7.5 hours

40+ people to feed
Sign-in at Blackwood Canyon
15 Trailers and tow rigs
Signage and locations

Timetable: Friday: Loader arrives at rocks

Saturday: Send off early crew to start on trail work
Sign in and briefing at Blackwood
Work begins
Lunch break
Work is finished up
Dinner and camaraderie

Sunday: Move more rock if needed
Wrap up any loose ends

Staffing
1 – IC Doug
2 Safety Officers – loading & unloading
2 Medical staff – loading & unloading
1 – Ops Gary
6 – Team leaders
Sign-in team Leader
Campground Leader
Load Leader Don
Transport Leader Erik
Chow Team Leader
Communications Team Leader

6 - 10 unloading: 2 teams of 3-5
Start unloading along the trail to make it easier for the trailers
4 – Loading Team
Don to bring small front loader
3 – 5 on Communication Team
Communications along the trail to ease congestion

30 - 40 people for a full crew

We really need trailers for this operation. Please step up if you have one. If you have one and can't make it that day, loan it to your buddy so he can bring it and use it.

Thanks again for all you help,

Doug

This is going to be a Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's trail project with help from Friends of the Rubicon. The Rubicon Trail Foundation is the funding source for most FOTR projects.

There won't be anything for sale at this event. But donations will be accepted on site.

Any donations should go through the Rubicon Trail Foundation, either at the event or at www.rubicontrail.org/About/donate.html

You can have your donation earmarked for a specific use: land purchase, trail maintenance, education, etc. or just in to the general fund. By going through RTF, all donations are tax deductable because RTF is a 501.c.3 non-profit organization.

There might be some bigger names (businesses) stepping up to help but until they are confirmed RTF is the sponsor of this project.

Simple Man said:
This is going to be a Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's trail project with help from Friends of the Rubicon. The Rubicon Trail Foundation is the funding source for most FOTR projects.

There won't be anything for sale at this event. But donations will be accepted on site.

Any donations should go through the Rubicon Trail Foundation, either at the event or at www.rubicontrail.org/About/donate.html

You can have your donation earmarked for a specific use: land purchase, trail maintenance, education, etc. or just in to the general fund. By going through RTF, all donations are tax deductable because RTF is a 501.c.3 non-profit organization.

There might be some bigger names (businesses) stepping up to help but until they are confirmed RTF is the sponsor of this project.

You've sent a secure payment to Rubicon Trail Foundation through PayPal. You'll receive an email receipt shortly.

I want the 'Con to be around when my new Jeep is finally wheel'able.
Thank you!
Billy

I'm not familiar with this area. How rough is the section of trail? If I can make a few repairs to my fullsize chevy pickup bed trailer (new tires/fix lights) I'm happy to donate it if its not too big.

I don't know if my jeep is up to pulling a load of rocks down the trail but I do have a trailer that can be used and abused that I'd be willing to loan to the cause.

That area is not hard at all, I have seen stock Toyota Rav 4's in that far, if you are going in from the Tahoe lake side it is before the left turn. The only hard part would be the deep watter hole, but that is what is going to be fixed.

Anyone that was with me and B.C. on Phils rubicon run last june may remember a stock rig going thrue the watter hole as his girlfriend took photos, just before the end of the trail.

Phil said:
I'm going to try to make it. I don't have a trailer but I enjoy manual labor.

Phil, I might be interested in coming up. I have access to a Jeep Trailer now. I would kinda like to get up there, might as well do some good while I am at it.

Penciled in on my social calendar. Have a Jeep trailer, maybe even a Jeep to tow it with, otherwise the old Ford is up to the task.

Ah the Tahoe side. Hell, I can pull the trailer taht far in the FJ80.

Thanks for all the interest.

The rock will need to be moved from one mile "north" of the left turn from Barker to the Rubicon to one mile west of the left turn.

This means it will have to go down what I call Potato Patch. It's the last rock section before the trail turns 2wd. We will be moving rock to make it a simpler journey and then removing those rocks to return it to it's previous state.

Please bring the trailer. We will find someone to tow it.

Doug

CRASH said:
Penciled in on my social calendar. Have a Jeep trailer, maybe even a Jeep to tow it with, otherwise the old Ford is up to the task.

I'm down if ya want to bring the Ford.
Think of how much rock we could haul in the ol' girl...
standard.jpg

...ain't she a beut'? :D

JeepFreak21 said:
Are those H2 wheels?
Billy

Hell yeah, a nigga gotta lace up his whip, feel me?

Doug, is this the rock that Placer County Sup. Kranz helped us to obtain?

Just curious, I'm spending the day with him this Friday, and wouldn't mind slipping in a thank you amongst the serious businees I have to do........PM me if you don't want this out in public......

The rock was purchased from a grant obtained by Placer County. I don't know for sure but I don't think that Kranz was involved.

Kranz does support the Rubicon and the efforts of FOTR and RTF. Thank him for his continued support of the trail and our sport.

Placer County has told me that funds for projects this year are probably not available. If Kranz can find us some money for more rock that would be great.

If you do ask, the worst he could say is no. Unless he backs away from whatever business your trying to do with him and then you're really screwed.

Thanks for thinking about thanking a politician. We all need to step up and thank them once in awhlie.

Doug

He said "Where is this Rubicon Trail everyone keeps talking about?"

I gave a quick primer, he noted his support for OHV use in general, and then I moved on to other business.

Back