• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon patrol vehicle.

Oddly enough I just ran across this piece from *gasp* Four Wheeler rag last night while looking for other information. http://www.fourwheeler.com/eventcoverage/129_0301_rub/index.html Talks about the wear and tear on the trail. I was out there last August for the Jeep Jamboree and can confirm that while y'all have a beautiful spot to wheel, it's getting torn up.

Yeha, it gets a lot of pressure during the summer. We have other places to go, thankfully, that are just as good, and receive less pressure.

CRASH

SeanP said:
Actually, that jeep will be used this season up on the Rubicon. Last year FOTR and the Rubicon Oversight Committee got grant money for LEO's to have quads on the 'Con. As Crash mentioned, the Sheriffs department needs alternate ways to pull DUI offenders off the trail other than a) helicopter or b) shooting them on the spot (my personal favorite).

Well then, that's the coolest program I've ever heard of! I'm gonna look for some info about Eldorado County on the web and see if they have some contact info about the Jeep or the program. I'd like to see if some of their policies or legal basis for special use vehicles could be adapted out here. The GTO guys are jonesin' to get another car going.

YELLAHEEP said:
Well then, that's the coolest program I've ever heard of! I'm gonna look for some info about Eldorado County on the web and see if they have some contact info about the Jeep or the program. I'd like to see if some of their policies or legal basis for special use vehicles could be adapted out here. The GTO guys are jonesin' to get another car going.

You gonna see about transfering to Eldorado county? :D

GSequoia said:
You gonna see about transfering to Eldorado county? :D

Nah, I couldn't afford to live out there! :laugh:

Unfortunately, there's not a significant number of trails in Jefferson County to justify building a rig like this one. But maybe I can get some useful info from those guys to help our guys put together another Department sponsored race car..... :dunno:

i hate to say it but a cops high speed chase on the con would be fun to watch. :D

Kernel said:
i hate to say it but a cops high speed chase on the con would be fun to watch. :D
Yeah, hot persuit in 4low at 1mph.

I'd have to kill somebody if I heard a friggin' siren while out on a trail ride.

While in Moab, our group almost went and shoved a stick through some asshole's speaker when he was playing "Highway to Hell" on Hell's Revenge. Then the prick played Adam Sandler at 120db.

I wonder if that Rubicon Patrol cop would enforce noise ordnances out in the middle of nowhere?

Kernel said:

LOL a 55 grain .223 hollow-point varmint load would outrun most any trail-rig Ive seen.

personally, i think they'd be better off with motorcycle patrol. its more economical and reliable. as for taking drunks out...super high fines would be a better deturrent, besides aren't parts of the rubicon private? also, on federal land who has juristiction?...and isnt drinking and driving on national parks property a federal crime?
i have certain ideas about siezures, and dont believe the department should be able to keep any of the profits. it would seem that the motivation for catching crooks should be because you want to do the right thing, rather than gettin the benjamins?
another legal issue comes to mind when there is a parts failure of the vehicle, or some sort of accident...screams lawsuit!
it is a very cool vehicle, and other than the moral/legal concerns i would be glad to see them out there safeguarding me from...rubiCONs!
i know i'm going to get flak, but i'm just jealouse that thing isn't mine.
so thur ya go!

aax.thumb.jpg

That is one of the sweetest MJs i have ever seen. It gives me all sorts of ideas for my next DD :D

What you want to drive a big red X

biscuitboy87 said:
personally, i think they'd be better off with motorcycle patrol. its more economical and reliable.

There is already sheriffs on quads patroling the Rubicon.

Jes

Great just what we need, Big Brother on the trail. Isn't there any place left to escape? Now there will be even more empty beer cans on the trail because people won't want "empty containers" in their Jeep. This really looks like the beginning of the end to me. I've never seen a bad situation that the cops couldn't make worse. :bawl:

Erik said:
Great just what we need, Big Brother on the trail. Isn't there any place left to escape? Now there will be even more empty beer cans on the trail because people won't want "empty containers" in their Jeep. This really looks like the beginning of the end to me. I've never seen a bad situation that the cops couldn't make worse. :bawl:

Actually, it's been getting better since the patrols started last year.
The trail hasn't been so clean in years. Last time I was up there I saw no garbage at all as I was leaving the trail, a first!

Jes

Jes said:
Actually, it's been getting better since the patrols started last year.
The trail hasn't been so clean in years. Last time I was up there I saw no garbage at all as I was leaving the trail, a first!

Jes
it would definately be nice if big bro wasnt out there...but i have seen over and over again grown men not able to wipe their own...a$$es. i think we all agree...pack it in, pack it out. no excuses.

Back