• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon in 2007

The_Rock

NAXJA Forum User
My dad's cancer has come back and since we don't know what the next few years will hold for him my dad and I are planning a road trip to do the Rubicon next summer. Is there any intrest in making this a NAXJA trip with a caravan of Colorado XJs going out? I don't know much about the trail or when the best time will be to go but if there is intrest all that can be figured out.

The NAXJA guys in Ca. could help pick a good time for the trail. I'm going out for sure so that means new gears, a front locker and maybe a steering upgrade. If I'm driving that far I want to make sure the Jeep will run the trail. Anyone know what is the minimum recomended Jeep build for the Rubicon?

Typical Sierra Chapter Rubicon requirements are:
One locker or two limited slips.
-31" tires
-Spare front axle shafts if you are running 260 joints.
-Spare rear shafts if you have a Dana 35 or a 27 spline 8.25.
-tow strap
-tow points front and rear
-T-case skid.
-Appropriate gearing for tire size. For example: 31's could run stock 3.55's, 33's should have at least 4.11's, 35's should have 4.56's. Low T-case gears can make up for diff gearing deficiencies.
-Spare tie rod and drag link if you are running 33's or larger and still have stock steering.

Stuff that is nice to have:
-If you care about body damage, get some rocker skids. The 'Con LOVES to bite XJ rockers when running smaller lifts/tires.

(list adapted/stolen from CRASH)

required equipment:
1. Visably charged fire extinguisher(BC or ABC)
2. First aid kit
3. Adequate spare tire, jack, and lug wrench
4. Safety belts for driver and any current passenger(belts must be worn at all times while vehicle is moving!
5. Adequate attachment points in the front and rear of the vehicle
6. Snatch strap without any metal hooks
7. Secured battery(no bungee cords!)

CB radio is highly recommended

Back