• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

*ROUGH COUNTRY LONG ARM* install With Pictures.

Takes me less than a minute to post something. Not exactly going "out of my way".

I'm also not "bashing it". I'm just stating an observation.

I just don't get why it's so hard to mount the arms in line or above the frame rail. It's a radius arm; there's only two mounting locations.

For reference, here's the TNT setup on my XJ. Sure it's more expensive, but you get what you pay for. Nothing hangs lower than my frame rails until the arms begin to bend down towards the axle side mounts. Most people don't even realize I have long arms.

6570_525769362240_41902041_31216063_582583_n.jpg

it's not that bad. If you are running 33's or 35's it shouldn't be a problem.

I didn't say it's a huge problem, I just don't get why it's so hard to mount them inline or above the frame rails.

I'm sure it will wheel just fine and you'll land/slide over the mounts. Just not a very good design if you ask me.

Also, if the lowest spot hangs ~3" below the rail, you basically just lost the ground clearance you gained on 35s from stock tires.

I didn't say it's a huge problem, I just don't get why it's so hard to mount them inline or above the frame rails.

I'm sure it will wheel just fine and you'll land/slide over the mounts. Just not a very good design if you ask me.

Also, if the lowest spot hangs ~3" below the rail, you basically just lost the ground clearance you gained on 35s from stock tires.

I tend to agree with this, if its true...

It would seem to be similar in retardedness to the lift kits that come with a tcase spacer to re-align the dshaft angles.

"wait a minute. to make my 2.5"-3" lift work, I have to DROP my tcase? Decrease my break-over angle?" "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot"

haha.

I understand the added flex and better ride gotten from longarms, but still think I'd go with a mild short arm, locked and armored on 32's-33's, FTW.

just my input. great pics and install details.

True. I guess it's based on what kind of wheeling ya do. I do mostly mud and forrest trails and very little rocks so the clearance wouldn't bother me but for someone who sees rocks alot will likely be turned off by the clearance loss. Trek's is by far the best long arm kit with a belly pan you can buy. You can even use it with a 3" lift unlike most LA kits out there. If I'm correct, the LA's on trek's mount inwards and not directly under the frame rail and this allows for gains in clearance and also clears the arms from hitting the frame rail during uptravel, which is why most kits state 4"+ for their LA's to work.

True. I guess it's based on what kind of wheeling ya do. I do mostly mud and forrest trails and very little rocks so the clearance wouldn't bother me but for someone who sees rocks alot will likely be turned off by the clearance loss. Trek's is by far the best long arm kit with a belly pan you can buy. You can even use it with a 3" lift unlike most LA kits out there. If I'm correct, the LA's on trek's mount inwards and not directly under the frame rail and this allows for gains in clearance and also clears the arms from hitting the frame rail during uptravel, which is why most kits state 4"+ for their LA's to work.

the only rocks ill see is at Rausch creek.. but even then, this is my daily driver. and i think i can sacrifice a little ground clearance for a better overall ride..

so besides the ground clearance issue is there any other negatives to this setup? everything seems pretty sturdy?

so besides the ground clearance issue is there any other negatives to this setup? everything seems pretty sturdy?

you are limited to the misalignment capabilities of the fram side joints, as is with any radius arm setup. A true 3 link or even 4 link would provide misalignment at both ends assuming you have hiems or johnny joints on each side of the arm. = less binding with more flex. say your joints only have 18 degrees of misalighment, in theory you can only drop your axle out until it is 18 degrees off from the frame. On a setup with high misalignment joints on both sides then you should be able to achieve twice that.

Ofcourse you will be able to feel every crack in the road and it will be a little louder. Since this setup has bushings on the axle side it is perfect for a daily driver.

so from everything i have heard there really isnt much wrong with the Rough Country setup? i have heard a lot of bashing but i dont see how much of it would really make that much of a difference. to me it sounds like a nice stout upgrade for a mild to moderate wheeler

I haven't seen any bashing.

If you're on the road 99% of the time, this kit is fine and will improve ride most likely.

If you wheel on trails where there are ledges and rocks that WILL scrape your undercarriage, this kit has the potential to hang you up.

I'm not a fan of losing ground clearance in a critical area (breakover angle).

I haven't seen any bashing.

If you're on the road 99% of the time, this kit is fine and will improve ride most likely.

If you wheel on trails where there are ledges and rocks that WILL scrape your undercarriage, this kit has the potential to hang you up.

I'm not a fan of losing ground clearance in a critical area (breakover angle).

i hear what ur saying and yea sure, but im pretty sure if u dont DD ur rig, u most likely wont be lookin to save money by going with this setup..

u cant really base a 600dollar kit vs a 1500 kit...

and not everyone on here rides rocks and ledges.. hate on the rk setup too then cuz its got the brackets in the same spot.

No offense, but I got my TNT kit on sale for ~$850 shipped to my door.

Hardly a $1500 kit :rolleyes:

I never said everyone here rides rocks and ledges, but when is having more ground clearance a BAD thing?

I won't clutter this thread anymore. Great write-up and I'm sure many will purchase it.

so from everything i have heard there really isnt much wrong with the Rough Country setup? i have heard a lot of bashing but i dont see how much of it would really make that much of a difference. to me it sounds like a nice stout upgrade for a mild to moderate wheeler

you will get hung up on the trails in WA. I had a buddy that mocked it up on his XJ and was disappointed with how low it hung and returned it. when I looked at it the arms looked thin.

Back