• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Ford 9 shave

XJ_ranger said:
sorry i couldn't be more helpful in your endeavors...
Sorry my photography degree was coming out. I was also expecting advanced tech here.

Ron forgot to mention:
"Remove third member before cutting."

Question, would you guy's think the third member should be bolted up to the housing and weld the new plate on the outside first, to avoid the housing warping?

Or can it all be done with the third member out?

87xjco said:
Question, would you guy's think the third member should be bolted up to the housing and weld the new plate on the outside first, to avoid the housing warping?

If i had a spare 3rd member, i would have done this, however, I didnt have one that I could chuck in there... and didnt want to weld it up with the 3rd that I had my gears and locker in and potentialy toast a bearing or ruin the heat treating on a gearset.

another thought might be that the 3rd would add a lot more weight, and if the axle was supported on jackstands (as mine was during welding) this added weight might pull the housing down and cause more warping than not having it in...

and I wanted to run a bead on the inside as well to ensure no leaks, and that cannot be done with the 3rd in (obivously...)

87xjco said:

Maybe toss it in there before welding and torque it down real good. Put a few good size tacks down in a few places. Then remove the 3rd and burn the plate in.

Back