• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RADesigns Products-Mellow Yellow

For a bolted on rotor, go the little extra and use a quality SCHS with some red loctite. Look forward to the next update!

More cool new parts to build something with.
IMGP0162.jpg

More work on getting the 14B FF hubs converted to 6 lug. I machined pockets then drilled the hubs to size for the new studs. I made fillers for two of the holes that are threaded in, then with the studs pressed in it all locks together.
IMGP0163.jpg
IMGP0166.jpg

Trial fit in the wheels, all looks good. And then a poser shot of the hubs with the discs on them.
IMGP0164.jpg
IMGP0168.jpg

Last edited:
Your thread is making me realize how badly I need a CNC mill...If my wife gets pissed when I bring one home I'm blaming you.

Ohh yeah I need one of your modded winters shifters too :p she's gonna really hate you.

Great build so far bud.

Your thread is making me realize how badly I need a CNC mill...If my wife gets pissed when I bring one home I'm blaming you.

Ohh yeah I need one of your modded winters shifters too :p she's gonna really hate you.

Great build so far bud.

I'll take the heat if it helps you get a mill. And I can set you up with shifters too, it's what I do. Bring on the blame.................

Go manual with the mill. If you aren't doing production, it's more satisfying.

Go manual with the mill. If you aren't doing production, it's more satisfying.

Well I started that way but even if I didn't build production I'd still have worked my way to a small CNC mill. They're just so much fun.

Hope to have the 14 bolt back next week, get it mocked up with discs and then start on the D44HP. Still need to order ChroMo shafts for it.

Trussed, Gears installed and ready to get the hub bearings and rotors assembled. Next I'll need to figure what to do with the front diff width. The 14B C&C should be 63.5" WMS, the stock D44 HP is 65", if I narrow it to the Early Bronco width it would be 58.5". Two trains of thought here, I'd rather have the extra width for stability as well as turning clearance for the tires. The narrow would be nice since a XJ body is narrower in the front and that will help keep the tires tucked in since I still want to have this baby streetable. Hmmmm?????????
IMGP0172.jpg

My research says if I use a TJ long side shaft I can get almost matched widths front to back. Something to think about, I know we're talking a few inches but keeping everything close to the same width seems to make sense.

Thats 3/4" each side. You wont even be able to tell looking at it. Probably be hard to find it with a tape measure when you get tires on. A lot of hassle for 3/4". Ive heard having a little bit wider front end does help turning radius.

Thats 3/4" each side. You wont even be able to tell looking at it. Probably be hard to find it with a tape measure when you get tires on. A lot of hassle for 3/4". Ive heard having a little bit wider front end does help turning radius.

Never mind. Need to read more better in mornings before coffee.

Never mind. Need to read more better in mornings before coffee.

You made a real point. The D44 HP is 1-1/2 wider than the 14B C&C.
So the relationship between the two would be OK. A stock early Bronco is narrower than the stock XJ by 1-1/2"~. A D44 TJ axle shaft would make the front and back about the same width. I want to keep stock shaft lengths so its nothing custom if/when I need a new one. I'm leaning toward the stock Ford 1/2 ton D44 HP width. I hope I have the 14B FF assembled this weekend so I can get started on the D44.

And the firewall was significantly modified. I did a 4.0 swap into an 85 chassis and had to cut out the firewall and weld in a section from a '88. The front header was dramatically changed to take the 4.0 radiator also.
That's funny, I did a 4.0L into an 85 and had only to massage the firewall just a bit with a ball peen hammer.

You do need to swap the hood and radiator upper support and the headlight supports.

Don't know if the thread got lost in the crash, but I covered all the mods extensively about 10 years ago.

That's funny, I did a 4.0L into an 85 and had only to massage the firewall just a bit with a ball peen hammer.

You do need to swap the hood and radiator upper support and the headlight supports.

Don't know if the thread got lost in the crash, but I covered all the mods extensively about 10 years ago.

Yep, I had mine well documented too. I have heard that you can do this without modifying the firewall, but whenever I call out anyone for pics they all seem to have an excuse as to why they don't have any. But having done it, I can't see it fitting with just "bit of a massage with a ball peen hammer."

Ok so its been busy at the shop but not on the 2Dr. Finally had time to get it in the shop and really dig into it. Well Eric dug into it I just supervised while I was running the CNC's.
The rear diff is assembled and looking good, did have to do a little casting flash removal to get the aluminum wheels to clear the calipers.
IMGP0174.jpg
IMGP0186.jpg

Then we/Eric set about removing anything and almost everything from this baby.
Getting the 4cyl/4spd setup out was a big accomplishment, made it look like we actually did something.
IMGP0194.jpg
IMGP0197.jpg

Then it was on to the interior, removed seats, moldings and covers, head liner, dash and vinyl floor coverings.
Somehow he even got me to crawl under the dash to get the ECM out.
IMGP0198.jpg
IMGP0202.jpg

IMGP0199.jpg

Been real busy with the business but did a have a few moments to mess with the XJ today. Started getting the HP D44 ready. Lower arm mounts installed and we made templates for the front truss.
Also bought 120ft of 1-3/4 tube.
IMGP1580.jpg

Trial fit in the wheels, all looks good. And then a poser shot of the hubs with the discs on them.
IMGP0164.jpg

I am curious as to what you do with your axle shaft flange bolts/lock washers. I did a 5 lug conversion on my 14bolt FF and when you install the axle shaft flange bolts and lock washers, they over hang and I cant get the wheel off without taking off the bolts/lock washers. I even went with 12pt bolts since they have a smaller diameter head, but the lock washers still hit. Unfortunately I don't have enough meat to machine my bead locks, so I am interested in what you do to get over this issue I have. It looks like you have more meat between your lug nut holes and hub holes for machining though.

You made a real point. The D44 HP is 1-1/2 wider than the 14B C&C.
So the relationship between the two would be OK. A stock early Bronco is narrower than the stock XJ by 1-1/2"~. A D44 TJ axle shaft would make the front and back about the same width. I want to keep stock shaft lengths so its nothing custom if/when I need a new one. I'm leaning toward the stock Ford 1/2 ton D44 HP width. I hope I have the 14B FF assembled this weekend so I can get started on the D44.

If its worth anything, I have a 3/4 ton D44 HP with 5 lug conversion and I am sitting at roughly 67" wms-to-wms up front and with the 5 lug conversion on the 14bolt, it puts it at 64.75" from 67" originally. Its hardly noticeable, but technically I am sitting about 1" narrower per side. I can post pics looking down the side of my jeep if you would like.

Back