• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulled by the Po-Po

Thanks for that info - I haven't looked at the RCW's myself but the door sticker says Vehicle Type is MPV and GVWR is 4900lbs.

On the fix it he wrote that it was 2200lbs so he mixed up his lbs and kgs. That may be to my advantage.

If indeed I am ok at 27" and 29" then I will go and speak with them and try and argue the case as far as the bumpers go but I will do the mudflaps.

Much appreciated.

wsuxjer said:
Wrong. Bumper must be at least 4.5" wide. it can be wider. WAC 204-90-040

On vehicle height, it depends. The bumper heights he quoted you are for cars. If you go by GVWR, 0-4500 is 24" front, 26" rear. 4501-7500 is 27" front, 29" rear. WAC 204-90-040

This is the kind of RCW info I was talking about.
Michael

OK good news - thanks so much wsuxjer for the info. I sent an email to the WSP and asked the question quoting all the info and they said I am good to go...

Date: December 14, 2007 11:40:52 AM PST
To: xxxxx
Subject: RE: Question about bumper heights

To: xxxx
December 14, 2007
X
This message is in response to your e-mail.X
X
Yes, if the Gross Vehicle Weight of your vehicle is 4,900 lbs then the maximum bumper height for the front of the vehicle is 27” and for the rear 25” as outlined in WAC 204-90-040 which you sited below.
X
Thank you for your inquiry.
Sincerely,
Equipment
X

Sent: Friday, December 14, 2007 11:28 AM
To: Equipment
Subject: Question about bumper heights
X
Good Morning, I received a fix-it ticket for my Jeep Cherokee 1998 and the Trooper said that the bumper heights should be 22" front and rear. The Trooper looked at my door sticker and took the weight as 2200 lbs but its actually 4900 lbs (he mixed up the 2200 lbs with 2200 kgs). Also my door sticker says "vehicle type: MPV".
X
According to theXhttp://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=204-90-040
it says..
X
The maximum bumper heights will be determined by weight category of gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) measured from a level surface to the highest point on the bottom of the bumper. For vehicles exempted from the bumper requirement for the reasons stated above, a maximum frame elevation measurement shall be made to the bottom of the frame rail. Maximum heights are as follows:
X
X
X
Front
Back
Passenger Vehicles
22 Inches
22 Inches
4,500 lbs. and under GVWR
24 Inches
26 Inches
4,501 lbs. to 7,500 lbs. GVWR
27 Inches
29 Inches
7,501 lbs. to 10,000 lbs. GVWR
28 Inches
30 Inches
X
So my question is, according to the above chart, are my bumper heights ok at 27" front and 25" rear?
X
P.S. The Trooper was very nice and I'm not being argumentative - just trying to understand the law and what I need to do.
X
Kind Regards

You are fine. Just print a copy of the WAC and keep it in your vehicle. You will still need to get the fix-it ticket signed off, though. PM me if you have any issues with that, and I might be able to help you out.

The key is to take care of the obvious things that are likely to get you stopped by the police. Mudflaps, license plates, license plate lights, headlights/taillights, and broken exhaust. If you keep your vehicle in a good state of repair, then you usually won't get bothered.

Brad

85xj4dr said:
Kinda makes ya wonder about the guys in the super high mall crawlers. I've never once seen one pulled over by a cop.

I have a Mall Crawler (DD/Tow rig), an 05 Grand (DD) and a trail only rig.
For the record I have been pulled over in all of them for different reasons other than speeding. "Mall Crawler" mudflaps, license plate cover (rear), no license plate in front. "05 Grand" license plate cover (front and rear). "Trail rig" mudflaps, no license plate front, no bumper rear.

In 2 of the 3 cases I got a ticket (not a fix it ticket). In 1 of the 3 cases I got a fix it ticket (of course my wife was driving not me and I suspect that might have had something to do with it).

In either case, we all know what the rules are and many of us know we are probably just outside of them and no matter what the vehicle is we are likely to end up getting pulled over for something at some point, Mall Crawlers also ;)

Michael

If it is the State Patrol stopping you, then you can just about count on getting a ticket. They have(use?) very little discretion these days. Not so in the city or county.

gill41083 said:
ive been in LOTS of trouble and have a lot of freinds who have been in truoble with the law around here! LOL. odds are that the judge will throw this one out with a few pics with a measuring tape in them! i have gotten wiser in my old age!!!!!

Wow and they say I have problems..... Ticket is a fix it ticket through the WSP so you will have to drive it in to an WSP inspection shop. There is no judge or picture taking. Really no plastic temp bumper stuff either. They are pretty picky on what you bring into the shop. Prolly just bolt up some temp angle iron to the bottom and then remove.

Today I got my correction notice signed off by the local Po-Po- he was super nice and didn't even bother to measure anything. He just took one look at my Off-Road Innovation removable flaps and signed it off like he didn't even care. That's a relief. And I even went to the trouble of adding a lip to my flares so that there is no tire outside the fender. Hopefully I can cruise in peace now. Thanks for all your help guys.

That's good to hear.

I contend that the vast majority of our problems are caused by one thing.....lack of mudflaps. If we as a group would just choose to run some kind of mud flap, I think the bulk of our problems would go way.

I have a pair of $8 flaps that I riveted onto the rear wheel opening and I don't even bother to take them off like I used to before hitting the trail. They fold up nicely on obstacles but are always there when driving the highway. They are very close to meeting the spec of the law and make a visual reminder that I'm trying to comply.

Is this the requirement that is specific to mud flaps?

From WAC 204-90-040 (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=204-90-040):
(7) Fenders: All wheels of a special motor vehicle shall be equipped with fenders designed to cover the entire tire tread width that comes in contact with the road surface. Coverage of the tire tread circumference shall be from at least 15° in front and to at least 75° to the rear of the vertical centerline at each wheel measured from the center of the wheel rotation. At no time shall the tire come in contact with the body, fender, chassis, or suspension of the vehicle. Street rods and kit vehicles which are more than forty years old and are owned and operated primarily as a collector's item need not be equipped with fenders when the vehicle is used and driven during fair weather on well-maintained, hard-surfaced roads.

Thanks,
Willy

carnuck said:
Get your GVW raised and commercial plates. :party:

How do you get the GVW raised? Just tell them when applying for tags?

Thanks,
Willy

Back